1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy proof of Why del(phi) is normal to a surface?

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that for a 3d space s, defined by a function f(x,y,z) = 0 , a unit vector normal to surface at the point (a,b,c) is given by [tex]\nabla[/tex]f(a,b,c) / modulus of [tex]\nabla[/tex]f(a,b,c)

(Apologies for the bad use of latex)

2. Relevant equations

None really

3. The attempt at a solution

I can only seem to gesture at this - it was given us as a definition. I know that d(phi)/ds where phi is a surface and s is a distance = [tex]\nabla[/tex](Phi).A , and that surely if a is tangential the LHS is equal to zero, but I'm a bit stuck from there and not sure if i've used things I need to prove. Its only a few marks, but is bugging me.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Cheers
    Cpfoxunt

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you aware that [itex]D_{\vec{v}}\phi= \nabla\phi\cdot\vec{v}[/itex], where [itex]D_{\vec{v}}[/itex] is the derivative in the direction of the unit vector [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]? From that, it follows that if [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is tangent to a "level surface" [itex]\phi[/itex]= constant, then [itex]D_{\vec{v}}\phi= \nabla\phi\cdot\vec{v}= 0[/itex]. That is, [itex]\nabla\phi[/itex] is perpendicular to any tangent vector and so to the surface itself.

4. Mar 30, 2008 #3
    I am aware of that (and now see why its important). That was what i was trying to get at with my attempt. But i'm still not quite happy - it doesn't explain the unit vector evaluated at (a,b,c), and I feel like I should try to gesture at why D(phi) = del(phi).V ?

5. Mar 30, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't understand what you mean by "explain the unit vector". If you recognize that [itex]\nabla \phi[/itex] is perpendicular to the surface, then of course dividing by its own length will give a unit vector in that direction.

As for why [itex]D_{\vec{v}}\phi= \nabla\phi\cdot\vec{v}[/itex], a unit vector can always be written in the form [itex]a\vec{i}+ b\vec{j}+ c\vec{k}[/itex] where, of course, [itex]\sqrt{a^2+ b^2+ c^2}= 1[/itex]. We can write a line in that direction as [itex]x= x_0+ at[/itex], [itex]y= y_0+ bt[/itex], and [itex]z= z_0+ bt[/itex]. So [itex]\phi(x,y,z)[/itex] in that direction is [itex]\phi( x_0+ at, y_0+ bt, z_0+ ct)[/itex]. Differentiate that with respect to t (using the chain rule) and see what you get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?