1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Del operator crossed with a scalar times a vector proof

1. Jan 12, 2013 #1
    "Del" operator crossed with a scalar times a vector proof

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove the following identity (we use the summation convention notation)

[tex]\bigtriangledown\times(\phi\vec{V})=(\phi \bigtriangledown)\times\vec{V}-\vec{V}\times(\bigtriangledown)\phi[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

equation for del, the gradient, curl..

3. The attempt at a solution

im kind of confused on the first step...I broke it down into the following; however, levi civita symbols aren't my cup of tea and I get pretty confused about it...anyway heres what I did:

[tex]\bigtriangledown\times(\phi\vec{V})=(\epsilon_{ijk})\partial_i\vec{V}\phi\hat{x}_k[/tex]

I dont know if this first step is right or if I decomposed the cross product right ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2013 #2
    Re: "Del" operator crossed with a scalar times a vector proof

You should have the j:th component of V in your expression,
    [tex] \nabla \times (\phi \vec{V}) = \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_i (\phi V_j) \hat{x}_k [/tex]

4. Jan 13, 2013 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The form you've written is completely equal to the one seen in math/physics books

[tex] \nabla\times \left(\phi\vec{V}\right) = \nabla\phi\times\vec{V} + \phi\nabla\times\vec{V} [/tex]

5. Jan 13, 2013 #4

Thanks for the replies, I'm just not sure what to do after what clamtrox said to do, the whole proofing business if pretty new to me :/

6. Jan 13, 2013 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need two more steps. Apply the product rule for differentiation and then once you obtain a sum of two terms, reconstruct vectors from their components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook