1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(edit:solved) Vector Triple Product, Components Parallel and Perpendicular

1. Apr 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    By considering A x (B x A) resolve vector B into a component parallel to a given vector A and a component perpendicular to a given vector A.

2. Relevant equations
    a x (b x c) = b (ac) - c (ab)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've applied the triple product expansion and reached

A x (B x A) = B (AA) - A (AB) = |A|2 B - |A||B|cos(θ) A

and hit a brick wall. I'm not entirely sure what the question is asking me to do, and I feel like I'm missing crucial information. Should I be splitting vectors A and B into their cartesian components?

EDIT:

I got it. Taking A x (B x A) = |A|2 B - A (AB) , I can rearrange to find

|A|2 B = A x (B x A) + A (AB)

Dividing through by |A|2 results in

B = A x (B x A) |A|-2 + A ((AB)/|A|2)

So B is given as a component perpendicular (first term) and parallel (second term) to A.

I'm fairly sure this is right anyway. Stupid I suddenly work this out after posting here after looking at it for 30 mins before!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2015 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

FYI, The second term is called the "projection" of B on A and the first term is called the "rejection" of B on A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted