EDTA Lab Question/Clarification

• Thread starter anthonynewegn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Edta Lab
In summary, the speaker prepared a 250 mL standard solution of disodium EDTA by diluting 0.2416 g of the compound in a volumetric flask. The equation for determining the molarity of the EDTA standard solution is (0.2416g / 292.25 g) / 0.250 L = 0.00331 M. To calculate the moles of metal ions in a water sample, the equation (M EDTA x titration volume) = (M ions x 0.050 L) can be used. To determine the total hardness of the water sample, the equation (moles of metal ions x MW of CaCO3 mg) / (0.050L) can
anthonynewegn
I weighed out 0.2416 g disodium EDTA and diluted it with about 250 mL of H2O and stuck it in a plastic bottle to use for titration. My question is, to determine the molarity of my stock EDTA standard sol'n, is it just (0.2416g / 292.25 g) / 0.250 L = 0.00331 M? Or do I have to use the VOLUME of EDTA solution used to titrate to the endpoint? (which in my case is 27.54 mL, 27.80 mL, and 27.26 mL respectively). I'm really leaning towards the first equation I wrote, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, how would I go about calculating the moles of metal ions that I have in my water sample (50mL). EDTA has a 1:1 stoich ratio with them so would I just (M EDTA x V EDTA) = (M ions x V ions)? So then it would be something like (M EDTA x titration volume) = (M ions x 0.050 L)?

So, once I figure out the moles of metal ions in solution, to figure out the total hardness of the water sample do I just do (moles of metal ions x MW of CaCO3 mg) / (0.050L) to get it in mg/L (ppm)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What was the exact volume of EDTA titrant you prepared?

Moles of metal titrated equals moles of EDTA titrant used, at the titration's endpoint. Did you use a standard Ca+2 solution?

I prepped it with 250 mL. I put the disodium EDTA in a 250 mL volumetric flask and diluted it to the mark, so I assume it's that. We used water from the faucet in our lab.

Ponder very carefully the difference between your preparation descriptions which you gave in these two quotes:
anthonynewegn said:
I weighed out 0.2416 g disodium EDTA and diluted it with about 250 mL of H2O and stuck it in a plastic bottle to use for titration.
And
I prepped it with 250 mL. I put the disodium EDTA in a 250 mL volumetric flask and diluted it to the mark, so I assume it's that. We used water from the faucet in our lab..

So you seem to have made a standard solution of your EDTA titrant, if what you really did was the second described process. Your two descriptions are not the same. Next, your equation for how the moles are related is correct.

Last edited:
Ah sorry, I should've clarified it better. I weighed out the 0.2416 g disodium EDTA and put it in the 250 mL volumetric flask so I could dilute it to the mark. After I did that, I poured the solution into a plastic bottle because its safer that way. (No metal ions in plastic bottle). So in my bottle, there was 250 mL of EDTA solution. Sorry for the mixup.

1. What is EDTA and what is its role in the lab?

EDTA (ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid) is a chelating agent commonly used in laboratory experiments to bind and sequester metal ions. Its role in the lab is to prevent metal ions from interfering with chemical reactions or to remove metal ions from solutions.

2. How is EDTA typically used in titration experiments?

In titration experiments, EDTA is used as a titrant to react with a known amount of metal ions in a solution. By knowing the stoichiometry of the reaction, the amount of metal ions present in the original solution can be determined.

3. Can EDTA be used in all types of solutions?

EDTA is most effective in aqueous solutions with a pH between 8 and 10. It can also be used in non-aqueous solutions, but its effectiveness may vary depending on the solvent.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with EDTA?

EDTA is generally considered safe to handle, but it is important to wear proper personal protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves and goggles. It is also recommended to work with EDTA in a well-ventilated area and to avoid ingestion or inhalation.

5. Can EDTA cause any interference in other lab experiments?

EDTA has a strong affinity for metal ions, so it may interfere with experiments that involve the detection or measurement of metal ions. It is important to consider the potential interference of EDTA when designing experiments and to use appropriate controls.