EE Job with BS in Physics: Towson Student Self-Taught in Electronics

In summary: I am also thinking about taking a summer semester and doing the EE course at the same time as my physics course. In summary, the Physics major at Towson University allows you to complete the EE degree if you have the prerequisites, and the EE degree may have additional value in that to become a PE requires an engineering degree.
vgplayer
I am currently a dual degree major in Physics and Electrical Engineering at Towson University. Well I really should say Physics because my dual degree adviser has been telling me the wrong information about how the program works but that is another story. This is my 5th year and will be graduating Spring 10 with my BS in Physics. My plan was to transfer University of Maryland and complete my EE degree but that is going to be a 2 or possibly more years of school according to advisers there. 7 years of school and I won't even have a MS.

I currently have a job awaiting my EE degree that will be fairly good paying. I spoke with them and they can't convert me to full time unless I have an EE degree. It doesn't make much sense because I mostly do software development there and I have self taught myself for that. I have also been learning about developing PIC microcontrollers in C on my own. I stil have a lot to learn but I can eventually get the job done. I love working with electronics but didn't discover that until the end of my sophomore year. The electronics expert at Towson thinks I could just use my Physics degree to get a EE job and teach myself as I go along.

I am curious if anyone has done anything like this? I support myself through school so avoiding more years of school would be great.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wish I could help, but you're in a sticky situation.

The EE degree may have additional value in that to become a PE requires (in most states) an engineering degree, and even those that allow other degrees often make it difficult to get. You need to take that very serious, as being a part of a professional organization gives engineers a huge advantage over people with a BS in physics.

Is it really going to take two more years? Supporting yourself through that is really painful.

Thanks for that info. No one has ever mentioned that before to me.

Well I am still working out the credit transfers but it is looking to be around 50 or so credits. Problem is I may have to complete some prerequisites which could add a semester. I don't know how Maryland is about requiring prerequisites to be completed before I take a higher level course but at Towson I took things in a random order.

Related to EE Job with BS in Physics: Towson Student Self-Taught in Electronics

1. What kind of job opportunities are available for someone with a BS in Physics and self-taught skills in electronics?

As a person with a BS in Physics and self-taught skills in electronics, you can pursue a variety of job opportunities in the fields of engineering, research and development, and manufacturing. Some possible job titles include electronics engineer, research scientist, product development engineer, and test engineer.

2. How can a BS in Physics prepare someone for a career in electronics?

A BS in Physics provides a strong foundation in scientific principles, mathematics, and problem-solving skills. These skills are essential for understanding the principles of electronics and how to design, troubleshoot, and analyze electronic circuits. Additionally, physics courses often cover topics such as electricity, magnetism, and electronics, giving students a basic understanding of electronic components and circuits.

3. Can someone with a BS in Physics and self-taught electronics skills be successful in the job market?

Yes, someone with a BS in Physics and self-taught electronics skills can be successful in the job market. Employers often value a diverse skill set, and having a degree in physics demonstrates a strong academic background. Additionally, self-teaching in electronics shows a willingness to learn and a passion for the field, which can be attractive to employers.

4. What are some examples of self-taught skills in electronics that can be beneficial for an EE job?

Some examples of self-taught skills in electronics that can be beneficial for an EE job include knowledge of electronic components and their functions, understanding of circuit design and analysis, proficiency in using electronic design software, and experience with hands-on projects and experimentation. Additionally, having knowledge of programming languages such as C++ or Python can be useful for working with microcontrollers and other electronic devices.

5. Are there any additional skills or qualifications that can complement a BS in Physics for an EE job?

Yes, there are additional skills and qualifications that can complement a BS in Physics for an EE job. These can include internships or work experience in the electronics industry, certifications in specific software or programming languages, and advanced coursework in electronics or electrical engineering. Additionally, having strong communication and teamwork skills can be valuable for working in a collaborative environment and presenting technical information to others.