1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EE looking to go into consulting (automation)

1. Aug 2, 2013 #1
    A bit of background first,
    I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    I completed my electrician apprenticeship and received my ticket in summer 2012 and I just finished my first year of general engineering will be starting Electrical engineering in september. I am trying to find my direction in the field and currently I feeling interest in automation and control.

1. I would really love to start a small consulting firm (after I
    receive my P.E) and I am curious as to the difficulty of starting a firm in the field of automation.

2. I am working a summer position in process control working with a couple technician and I mostly help troubleshoot devices, put together engineering packages for equipment that needs to be replaced and update old drawings. So now my question is, as a engineer in this field I feel like I may be doing something else(I don't actually work with engineers). What is the scope of work for an engineer in this field and as a consultant?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2013 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Usually when people hire a consultant, they are looking for someone experienced in the field. I think you will have difficulty getting customers for your consulting business if you are fresh out of school. The usual route is for someone to work in their field for a period of time (10 years, 20 years?), then launch a consulting business, using their years of experience as a selling point.

4. Aug 2, 2013 #3
    Agree, with above. If you have to ask what the scope of work for a consultant in a given field is you are ill prepared to be a consultant in that field. My suggestion would be find a job in that field and reevaluate your options after you have some experience with it.

5. Aug 2, 2013 #4
    Well yeah when I said after my designation I mean 10 years after ive been in the field... I was looking to apply at a consulting company that advertise positions at my school until I know what I'm doing inside and out

I would also like to learn what I can before hand so if I get the opportunity I may be able to do extra curricular work towards it like maybe plc training

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook