Effect of electrical permittivity on the speed of light

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Muggo
Why does an increased electrical permittivity reduce the phase velocity of light in a medium? Furthermore, what interactions do we see on an atomic level?

I am aware of the equation that defines the speed of light in terms of the electrical permittivity and magnetic permeability, but I do not understand their relationship.

Many thanks to anyone who is able to answer this question or/and refer me to a resource where I can obtain an answer! :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried Wikipedia or any of the other well known sites? Google is often a very good start and anyone can use it.
 
Muggo said:
Why does an increased electrical permittivity reduce the phase velocity of light in a medium? Furthermore, what interactions do we see on an atomic level?

I am aware of the equation that defines the speed of light in terms of the electrical permittivity and magnetic permeability, but I do not understand their relationship.

Many thanks to anyone who is able to answer this question or/and refer me to a resource where I can obtain an answer! :smile:
You already have a thread going on this question. Please do not cross-post across the PF forums. This copy is now locked.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...al-permittivity-on-the-speed-of-light.923520/