Effect of oscillating magnetic field on diamagnetic water

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving an oscillating electromagnet placed above a body of water to observe the effects of diamagnetism and resonant frequencies. The individual relates the experiment to the effect of resonant frequencies on buildings and asks if applying a voltage to saltwater would produce different results. They also mention the need for microwave frequencies to achieve the desired effect.
taylaron
Gold Member
I’m interested in the natural phenomenon of diamagnetism. I understand the general concept behind the magnetic interactions, but I am curious about the results of the following experiment:
What happens when one places a large oscillating electromagnet (possibly superconducting) directly above a body of water with the axis of electromagnet normal to the surface of the water?
Because the diamagnetic properties of water, it sets up a magnetic field opposed to that of the coil. Once the coil is oscillating at the resonant frequency of the water, does the magnet effectively produce waves in the body of water?
I’m relating this experiment to that of the effect of resonant frequencies on buildings. I expect the amplitude of the waves on the water to increase due to constructive interference.
I recognize the maximum frequency is limited by the impedance of the coil.
Is the effect any different with a voltage applied to saltwater?
I’ve been unable to find any documentation of similar experiments; any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Tay

Engineering news on Phys.org
Right idea, wrong range of frequencies. You need microwave frequencies, because you are attempting to re-invent the microwave oven.

1. What is an oscillating magnetic field?

An oscillating magnetic field is a type of alternating magnetic field that changes direction and magnitude at regular intervals. It is created by an alternating current passing through a coil of wire, and can be used to induce changes in the properties of certain materials, such as water.

2. How does an oscillating magnetic field affect water?

When an oscillating magnetic field is applied to water, it causes the water molecules to align and vibrate in a specific way. This can lead to changes in the physical and chemical properties of the water, such as its surface tension and pH level.

3. What is diamagnetic water?

Diamagnetic water is a type of water that exhibits a weak repulsion to magnetic fields. This is in contrast to paramagnetic materials, which are attracted to magnetic fields. Diamagnetic water can be created by subjecting regular water to an oscillating magnetic field.

4. What are the potential benefits of using oscillating magnetic fields on water?

Some potential benefits of using oscillating magnetic fields on water include improving its purity, increasing its hydration capabilities, and enhancing its ability to dissolve certain substances. It has also been suggested that diamagnetic water may have potential health benefits.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with using oscillating magnetic fields on water?

While there is ongoing research on the effects of oscillating magnetic fields on water, there are currently no known risks associated with this process. However, it is important to use caution and follow proper protocols when conducting experiments with magnetic fields and other scientific procedures.