Ansys Maxwell Magnetic Transient Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the simulation of a linear eddy current brake. The model consists of a rectangular magnet moving above an aluminum plate, with a larger rectangular prism surrounding the magnet and a container object holding it. The motion setup involves the magnet moving at a constant speed parallel to the edge of the plate. The model only considers eddy current effects in the plate and does not account for any effects in the permanent magnet. Mesh operations include a skin depth mesh on the plate and internal length meshes inside the plate, band, and magnet. However, the current setup is resulting in zero drag force on the magnet and oscillating lateral and lift forces. The individual is unsure which equation to use for solving the force and has chosen the magnetic transient
Khang Vu
I am trying to simulate a linear eddy current brake. To do this, I am modeling my brake as a single magnet moving above an aluminum plate. I plan to measure the drag force on this magnet and calculate my braking force as a superposition of single magnets. Here's my current setup:

Model:
A single rectangular magnet moving along the edge of an aluminum plate such that its cross section is fully covered by the plate's at a top view. My band is a bigger rectangular prism surrounding the magnet and a container object that holds the magnet. The model takes whatever in the container object as a single rigid body; that's what should happen from what I've read online. The magnet's magnetic field is aligned to be in the z direction (towards and perpendicular to the top face of the plate).

Motion setup:
The magnet is moving at a constant speed parallel to the edge of the plate.

Excitations:
The model only accounts for eddy current effects in the plate. It does not account for any eddy current effects in the permanent magnet.

Mesh Operations:
-Skin depth mesh on the plate. I used a frequency of 2000 Hz. This was calculate from the fact that the magnet is moving at 120 m/s
-Internal length mesh inside the plate.
-Internal length mesh inside the band.
-internal length mesh inside the magnet

Currently, I am getting 0 drag force on the magnet and oscillating lateral and lift force.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What equation are you using to solve for the force?

Paul Colby said:
What equation are you using to solve for the force?
I have no idea where to pick equations, but I chose the magnetic transient solver for this problem. The force is given to me by applying a parameter to the magnet object.

Khang Vu said:
I have no idea where to pick equations, but I chose the magnetic transient solver for this problem. The force is given to me by applying a parameter to the magnet object.

Well, it's kind of important to understand the underlying physics in choosing a numerical model. Eddy current breaking is due to power dissipation of the induced current in the conductor. Maybe a simpler model like strips or a coil replacing the aluminum plate might be simpler to analyze by hand? How are the magnet fringing fields handled? My bet is you've left something out if you are getting zero breaking force.

Also, what software is being used?

Paul Colby said:
Well, it's kind of important to understand the underlying physics in choosing a numerical model. Eddy current breaking is due to power dissipation of the induced current in the conductor. Maybe a simpler model like strips or a coil replacing the aluminum plate might be simpler to analyze by hand? How are the magnet fringing fields handled? My bet is you've left something out if you are getting zero breaking force.

Also, what software is being used?
I am using Ansys Maxwell. I don't really see an option to choose the equations behind the model. All I really see is an option to pick which solver to use.

1. What is Ansys Maxwell Magnetic Transient?

Ansys Maxwell Magnetic Transient is a software tool used for simulating and analyzing electromagnetic fields and their interactions with electrical systems. It is especially useful for studying the behavior of magnetic fields over time, making it a valuable tool for engineers and researchers in a variety of industries.

2. What are some key features of Ansys Maxwell Magnetic Transient?

Ansys Maxwell Magnetic Transient offers a variety of advanced features, including the ability to model complex geometries, simulate dynamic electromagnetic systems, and analyze the effects of thermal and mechanical stresses on designs. It also has a user-friendly interface and robust post-processing capabilities.

3. How does Ansys Maxwell Magnetic Transient differ from other electromagnetic simulation software?

Ansys Maxwell Magnetic Transient stands out from other software due to its ability to handle complex transient phenomena, such as magnetic hysteresis and eddy currents. It also has a wide range of post-processing tools and a strong support community, making it a popular choice among researchers and engineers.

4. Can Ansys Maxwell Magnetic Transient be used for both 2D and 3D simulations?

Yes, Ansys Maxwell Magnetic Transient supports both 2D and 3D simulations. This allows for more accurate and detailed analysis of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with electrical systems, as well as the ability to model complex geometries in both 2D and 3D space.

5. Is Ansys Maxwell Magnetic Transient suitable for beginners?

Ansys Maxwell Magnetic Transient can be used by beginners, but it may require some time and effort to learn all of its features and capabilities. There are also many resources available, such as tutorials and user guides, to help new users get started with the software. Familiarity with electromagnetic theory and simulation techniques may also be beneficial for using Ansys Maxwell Magnetic Transient effectively.