Effect of specific heat of a substance on the rate of heat flow

In summary, heat capacity affects the rate of heat flow from one substance to another, but only when the temperature difference between the substances is large.
emporia
I have been wondering, does specific heat capacity affect the rate of heat flow from one substance to another?

For example if the substances at heated up to the same temperature then left outside until thermal equilibrium is reached. I would think the one with the larger specific heat capacity (substance x) cools at a faster rate as the energy difference between it and the atmosphere is greater than the one with a smal specific heat (substance y).

The larger the energy difference the greater the rate of heat flow. As this energy difference becomes smaller due to the substance the rate of flow would lessen.

The rate of heat flow behaves similarly to an exponential funtion, therefore am i correct in assuming that the affect of specific heat on heat flow is offset by the decrease of the energy difference effectively cancelling out the effect of specific heat?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Energy difference isn't what is important. Temperature difference is. Surface area is. All things being equal, the material with the greatest heat capacity will resist a change in temperature more so than one with a small heat capacity.

That is kind of the definition of heat capacity, y'know.

emporia said:
I have been wondering, does heat capacity affect the rate of heat flow from one substance to another?

No. Heat transfer coefficient is the only thing that counts.

Borek said:
No. Heat transfer coefficient is the only thing that counts.

Thanks for that.
I'm just puzzled now that my chemistry teacher agreed with me on the previous explanation but was doubtful when i suggested that heat capacity doen't affect heat flow.

Well... there is a heat flow and there is a heat flow :wink:

Say you have two bodies of different temperatures. Net heat flow is that from the hotter body to the colder body. Amount of the the heat that flows in the time unit is just a power - and this power doesn't depend on the heat capacity, in any given moment it depends on the temperature difference, geometry of the system and heat capacity coefficient. Period.

Now, if you are interested not in in a situation at any given time point, but in the changes of the temperature in a long period of time, knowing just power transmitted in any moment is not enough. You have to account for heat capacity of the system, as it will change the speed at which temperature of the different parts of the system will change - changing heat flow (power).

1. What is specific heat and how does it affect heat flow?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is a measure of how well a substance can store thermal energy. The higher the specific heat of a substance, the more heat energy it can hold and the slower it will heat up or cool down.

2. How does the specific heat of a substance impact its ability to conduct heat?

The specific heat of a substance is directly related to its ability to conduct heat. Materials with a higher specific heat have a lower thermal conductivity, meaning they are less efficient at transferring heat. This is because they require more energy to raise their temperature, so they don't release heat as quickly.

3. Does the specific heat of a substance affect the rate of heat flow?

Yes, the specific heat of a substance does affect the rate of heat flow. The higher the specific heat, the slower the rate of heat flow. This is because it takes more heat energy to raise the temperature of a substance with a higher specific heat, so it will take longer for the substance to release that heat energy and transfer it to another object.

4. How does the specific heat of a substance impact its ability to retain heat?

The specific heat of a substance is directly related to its ability to retain heat. Materials with a higher specific heat can store more heat energy, so they have a greater ability to retain heat. This is why substances like water, with a high specific heat, can retain heat for longer periods of time.

5. Can the specific heat of a substance change and if so, what factors can affect it?

Yes, the specific heat of a substance can change. Factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical composition can all affect the specific heat of a substance. Changes in these factors can alter the arrangement of molecules in the substance, which can impact its ability to store and transfer heat energy.