Effect of variation of steam supply

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
StealthRay
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I am doing my revision and one of the question got me thinking but I am not sure if I got it right.

The question asks what is the effect of variation of steam supply on power output,power factor,armature current and load angle of the synchronous machine.

I think reduced in steam will reduce the induced E of the machine.

So from the equation, P=(EV)/X sin d.

I think voltage at the infinite busbar will remain constant because of var injection.I think the power output will decrease.

If power drops,I guess from the equation load angle will fall too.

But how about the armature current?IF both power output and power factor drops,then current will probably remain constant.

Can anyone please explain to me.Thank you.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
There are many ways to design and connect AC generator and DC generators, each with their own set of equations. You chose the wrong one.

A steam power plant connected to the grid almost always use synchronous generators. For a synchronous generator, reducing steam supply reduces the phase angle of the generator relative to the infinite bus resulting in lees power.

Phase angle of the voltage, not the amplitude of the voltage.