Synchronous generator under load

In summary, the synchronous generator was connected to the grid through a reactane of j0.65 pu. The grid voltage was 1 pu and the generator was feeding 0.7+j0.6 pu power to the grid. After some calculations, the generated emf was found to be 1.46 ∠18.12° pu. If the active power is increased such that new complex power is 0.8+j0.6 pu (reactive power unchanged), the generated emf comes out to be 1.48∠20.51°.
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
A synchronous generator is connected to the grid through a reactane of j0.65 pu. The grid voltage is 1 pu and the generator is feeding 0.7+j0.6 pu power to the grid. After some calculations, the generated emf is found to be 1.46 ∠18.12° pu. If the active power is increased such that new complex power is 0.8+j0.6 pu (reactive power unchanged), the generated emf comes out to be 1.48∠20.51°.
I can understand the fact that the power angle δ increased so as to feed the extra real power. What I don't understand is why the generated emf increased. According to the equation E=Vt+ I*X, the value of E should increase since the current increased. But since the reactive component of the armature current is unchanged, why should the excitation be increased? If the armature current is lagging, its reactive component has a demagnetizing effect on the air gap and hence, terminal voltage drops. To bring the terminal voltage back to 1 pu, excitation is increased. In this problem, there is no change
in the reactive component of armature current. So why is the excitation increased when the reactive power is constant?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
jim hardy said:
Try the phasor approach described in this June thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/voltage-and-reactive-power-relationship.876346/#post-5505312

i think your question lends itself to graphical solution
which reduces it to a geometry problem.

but i didn't try it with your numbers.
Thanks. I understand now that for reactive power to be constant, Ecosδ should be
constant and for active power to be constant, Esinδ should be constant.

Hi @jim hardy..
I have a small question about this diagram..
SynchMachPhasors3.jpg

Here, before raising the excitation, the VARs were leading and to bring them back to zero, excitation was increased. Right?
Before that, the rotor was given extra mechanical torque and hence, it pulled ahead. My question is, how does the rotor rotate at the previous speed? It accelerates while pulling ahead and hence, shouldn't its speed be more? Real part of the load current stabilizes the rotor and it moves with a constant speed after pulling ahead but shouldn't that speed be more than the no load speed?

Last edited:
cnh1995 said:
It accelerates while pulling ahead and hence, shouldn't its speed be more? Real part of the load current stabilizes the rotor and it moves with a constant speed after pulling ahead but shouldn't that speed be more than the no load speed?
I'm on a trip but will take a minute to answer.
How can it ?
You haven't thought that question through.
The speeds are unequal only while the rotor is changing its power angle.
It accelerates, gets ahead and decelerates. Probably it'll hunt a little as it finds new equilibrium power angle.

thought experiment......

What if you and i are both running side by side around a one mile circular track at 15mph, doing repeated 4 minute miles?(Unlikely for me at my age )
If you sprint a little faster to get a few feet ahead and then slow back down to resume 15mph,
we will both continue to do 4 minute miles with constant distance between us
and both at 15mph.
You do not need to run faster to stay that few feet ahead, nor can i run slower and stay same distance behind.

Watch children on a merry-go-round.

old jimkeep it simple.

Likes cnh1995
jim hardy said:
It accelerates, gets ahead and decelerates. Probably it'll hunt a little as it finds new equilibrium power angle.
Yes. That's intuitive. Also, I forgot that the differential equation governing relation between power angle and time is of second order, which explains the oscillations of the rotor.
Thanks! Enjoy your trip!

1. What is a synchronous generator under load?

A synchronous generator under load is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy by using the principle of electromagnetic induction. It is designed to operate at a constant speed, known as synchronous speed, and maintain a fixed frequency of alternating current output.

2. How does a synchronous generator under load work?

A synchronous generator under load works by using a rotating magnetic field produced by its rotor and stator. The rotor, which is connected to a prime mover, is an electromagnet that creates a magnetic field when current flows through it. The stator, on the other hand, is a stationary set of windings that are connected to an external circuit. As the rotor spins and the magnetic field cuts through the stator windings, an alternating current is generated in the stator windings.

3. What are the main components of a synchronous generator under load?

The main components of a synchronous generator under load include the rotor, stator, exciter, voltage regulator, and prime mover. The rotor and stator are the primary components responsible for the generation of electricity. The exciter supplies DC current to the rotor to create a magnetic field. The voltage regulator monitors the output voltage and adjusts the exciter's input to maintain a constant voltage. The prime mover, such as a turbine or engine, provides the mechanical energy to rotate the rotor.

4. What is the difference between a synchronous generator under load and an asynchronous generator?

The main difference between a synchronous generator under load and an asynchronous generator is the way they operate. A synchronous generator maintains a constant speed and frequency, while an asynchronous generator's speed and frequency vary with the load. Additionally, synchronous generators require a DC power source to create a magnetic field, whereas asynchronous generators do not.

5. What are the applications of synchronous generators under load?

Synchronous generators under load are used in various applications such as power plants, hydroelectric dams, wind turbines, and diesel generators. They are also commonly used in large industrial settings where a reliable and stable power supply is essential. Additionally, synchronous generators are used in some renewable energy systems, such as solar photovoltaic and fuel cell systems, to convert DC power into AC power for grid integration.