1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effective Voltage in series RLC circuit

1. Nov 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a series RLC circuit with a sinusoidal voltage input, find the effective voltage across each element.

Given:

1) If the effective value of the source voltage is 1 V, the effective value of the current is 1 amp.
    2) i(t) lags v(t) by 45 degrees
    3) L=1H
    4) w=2 rads/sec

2. Relevant equations
    Veff = [1/T * ∫ v^2(t) dt] ^ (1/2)
    Ieff = Im/√2
    Veff = Vm/√2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Based on the information I know that:
    v(t) = Vmsin(2t)
    i(t) = Imsin(2t-45)

Not exactly sure where to go from here especially since R and C aren't given, but I'm assuming you don't need these values or can find out based on the information already given.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For an RLC series circuit, what is the expression for the angle between current i and applied voltage V? Be careful of sign (i leads vs. lags V).

For same circuit, what is the expression for the magnitude of impedance (V/i)?

2 equations, 2 unknowns, solve.

4. Nov 20, 2011 #3
    Ok I'm assuming each equation will be a function of R, L, and C? So I could solve for R and C?

From there do I just find the voltage/current as a function of time across each element and solve from there?

What is the significance of the first given statement?

5. Nov 20, 2011 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

|V/i| is one of your two equations. It's the magnitude of impedance of the circuit, i.e. without regard to the phase angle between V and i.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook