1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effects of adjacent metals with different work functions

1. Dec 30, 2012 #1
    Hi, someone was telling me that if you have two metals in close contact (like, one sputtered onto the other or something) with each other, if they have different work functions, you'll get some sort of diode effect (even without either of them being doped) if you have a current running from one to the other.

Does anyone have any information on this I could read about?

Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2012 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A useful device which uses this is the thermocouple. They are used for temperature measurement.

4. Dec 30, 2012 #3
    Check WORK FUNCTION and CONDUCTION BAND
    in Wikipedia for some background.

The photoelectric effect is also a work function phenomena...where absorption of a photon
    releases a conduction electron.

I suspect any 'diode effect' depending on work functions of metals is miniscule....most metals tend to be pretty good conductors....SEMIconductor diodes use a p doping together with an n doping to create a p-n junction....which passes electrons in one direction far more than the opposite direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook