Efficence - Calculate the Force needed to life this load

How would you calculate the work done by an object moving a certain distance while under the influence of a force?In summary, the question is asking for the force needed to lift a load of 2000N using a mechanical car jack that is only 40% efficient. The lever used is 0.5m long and makes one rotation to raise the car by 10mm. The work done by the lever must equal the work done in raising the vehicle, taking into account the efficiency of the jack.
I-need-help

Homework Statement

Consider a mechanical car jack. To change a wheel it may need to lift a load of 2000N. Suppose that one rotation of the screw raises the car by 10mm. You apply a force to the end of the lever, 0.5m long, through a full circle. The jack is only 40% efficient. Calculate the force that you have to apply.

(This is a textbook question from OCR, AS Physics.)

Homework Equations

probably to do with moments:
anti-clockwise moments = clockwise moments

work done:
work done = force x perpendicular distance...

GPE:
gravitational pe = mass x g x height

I don't know where to begin, etc..

The Attempt at a Solution

There is answer at the back of the textbook, but I won't show it for now, so that it doesn't affect your way of workings, or anything... I'll show it if needed though.

Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The work done by the movement of the lever must equal the work done in raising the vehicle. With the jack not being 100% efficient due to friction, you'll have to supply 40% more work to raise it.

So begin thinking about work being done.

1. What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

2. How do I determine the necessary force to lift a load?

To determine the necessary force to lift a load, you will need to know the mass of the load and the acceleration due to gravity, which is typically 9.8 m/s^2. Using the formula F = m x a, you can calculate the force needed.

3. Can you explain the concept of efficiency when calculating force?

Efficiency is a measure of how well a system converts input energy into useful output energy. In the context of calculating force, efficiency refers to the amount of force required to perform a certain task. The higher the efficiency, the less force is needed to achieve the desired result.

4. How does the angle of the load affect the force needed to lift it?

The angle of the load can have a significant impact on the force needed to lift it. When the load is at an angle, the force needed to lift it will be greater than if the load were directly above the lifting point. This is because the force needs to overcome both the weight of the load and the resistance caused by its angle.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of force that can be exerted to lift a load?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of force that can be exerted to lift a load. This limit is determined by the maximum amount of force that the lifting equipment can handle, as well as any safety limitations. It is important to always follow safety guidelines and not exceed the recommended force limit when lifting a load.