Efficiency of energy transformation on a slide

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
gungo
Messages
27
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Students used a speed gun to measure the final speed of slider at the bottom of the slide. They measure the height difference between the top and bottom of the slide to be 3.0 m.
If the speed of a slider at the bottom of the slide is 5.0 m/s, what is the efficiency of the energy transformation?

Homework Equations


mgh1+1/2mv^2=mgh2+1/2mv^2
efficiency=Eout/Ein x100

The Attempt at a Solution


the masses of :mgh1+1/2mv1^2=mgh2+1/2mv2^2 cancel out, so I'm left with
gh1+1/2v^2=gh+1/2v^2
3(9.8)+1/2v1^2=1/2(5)^2
When I isolate v1^2, I get a negative number which wouldn't work because I can't get the square root of it to find v. But after finding v, what would I do?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
gungo said:
mgh1+1/2mv^2=mgh2+1/2mv^2
That equation assumes no losses.
gungo said:
3(9.8)+1/2v1^2=1/2(5)^2
The 5 in there is for the case where there are losses, so the equation does not apply.