1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Efficiency of engine taking diatomic ideal gas through cycles

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the thermal efficiency of an engine that operates by taking n moles of diatomic ideal gas through the cycle 1 -------> 2 -------> 3 -------> 4 ------> 1 shown in the figure ?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/answer-board-image/2d50cb1e-1bc6-4325-acf6-fe1df4f0a7b5.jpeg

2. Relevant equations

e = W/Qh

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the answer is 10.5

I am trying to prep for a test today and this is the last thing from my homework that I don't understand....can someone explain to me how the answer is generated? I am sort of lost on it and I figure it has to be easier than it seems.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2013 #2

mukundpa

Homework Helper

There are two isochoric and two isobaric processes in the cycle. Find temperatures at all four points and calculate the heat absorbed from the source and the net work done.
    The efficiency is always less than one thus it must be 10.5%.

4. Apr 8, 2013 #3
    How to find temp with no p or v numbers?

5. Apr 8, 2013 #4

mukundpa

Homework Helper

It is P0V0/nR at 1.

6. Apr 8, 2013 #5
    I'm still confused...po is not a numerical value.

7. Apr 8, 2013 #6

mukundpa

Homework Helper

say P0V0/nR = T0 then what are temperatures at 2, 3 and 4 ?

8. Apr 8, 2013 #7

mukundpa

Homework Helper

these are 2T0, 4T0 and 2T0 respectively.
    Now find the heat absorbed in isochoric and isobaric processes using Q = n Cv ΔT and Q = n Cp ΔT

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted