Efficiency, Stirling heat engine

In summary: So \eta = W/Q_{in} = (Q_{in}-Q_{out})/Q_{in} = 1 - Q_{out}/Q_{in} = 1 - (Q_{23} + Q_{34})/(Q_{41} + Q_{12})
dave84

Homework Statement

AhKqy.png

We have a Stirling heat engine. I'm calculating the efficiency [itex]\eta[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]Q_{12} = \frac{m R T_2}{M} \ln(\frac{V_2}{V_1}) > 0[/itex]

[itex]Q_{23} = m c_v (T_1 - T_2) < 0[/itex]

[itex]Q_{34} = \frac{m R T_1}{M} \ln(\frac{V_1}{V_2}) < 0[/itex]

[itex]Q_{41} = m c_v (T_2 - T_1) > 0[/itex]

[itex]\kappa = \frac{c_p}{c_v}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{R}{c_v M} = \kappa - 1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My result is [itex]\eta = \frac{|(\kappa-1)T_1 \ln(\frac{V_1}{V_2})+(\kappa-1)T_2 \ln(\frac{V_2}{V_1})|}{(T_2 - T_1) + (\kappa - 1)T_2 \ln(\frac{V_2}{V_1})}[/itex].

Can anyone confirm this? I'm sorry if this is too trivial.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dave84 said:

Homework Statement

AhKqy.png

We have a Stirling heat engine. I'm calculating the efficiency [itex]\eta[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]Q_{12} = \frac{m R T_2}{M} \ln(\frac{V_2}{V_1}) > 0[/itex]

[itex]Q_{23} = m c_v (T_1 - T_2) < 0[/itex]

[itex]Q_{34} = \frac{m R T_1}{M} \ln(\frac{V_1}{V_2}) < 0[/itex]

[itex]Q_{41} = m c_v (T_2 - T_1) > 0[/itex]

[itex]\kappa = \frac{c_p}{c_v}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{R}{c_v M} = \kappa - 1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My result is [itex]\eta = \frac{(\kappa-1)T_1 \ln(\frac{V_1}{V_2})+(\kappa-1)T_2 \ln(\frac{V_2}{V_1})}{(T_2 - T_1) + (\kappa - 1)T_2 \ln(\frac{V_2}{V_1})}[/itex].

Can anyone confirm this? I'm sorry if this is too trivial.
You will have show your reasoning to explain how you arrived at this. You could start by showing us your expression for η in terms of Q41, Q12, Q23, and Q34.

AM

So [itex]\eta = \frac{|A|}{Q_{in}} =\frac{|Q_{12}+Q_{34}|}{Q_{41} + Q_{12}} [/itex], where [itex]A[/itex] is total work done and [itex]Q[/itex] is the input heat. The final result is simplified with [itex]\kappa[/itex].

[itex]Q_{in} = Q_{41} + Q_{12}[/itex]
[itex]Q_{out} = Q_{23} + Q_{34} = Q_{in} - A[/itex]

[itex]Q_{out}[/itex] is the amount of heat that is released from the heat engine.

Last edited:
dave84 said:
So [itex]\eta = \frac{|A|}{Q_{in}} =\frac{Q_{12}+Q_{34}}{Q_{41} + Q_{12}} [/itex], where [itex]A[/itex] is total work done and [itex]Q[/itex] is the input heat. The final result is simplified with [itex]\kappa[/itex].

[itex]Q_{in} = Q_{41} + Q_{12}[/itex]
[itex]Q_{out} = Q_{23} + Q_{34} = Q_{in} - A[/itex]

[itex]Q_{out}[/itex] is the amount of heat that is released from the heat engine.
I am not sure how you got your equation for efficiency. Start with [itex]\eta = \frac{|W|}{Q_{in}}[/itex].
You can rewrite this as:

[itex]\eta = W/Q_{in} = (Q_{in}-Q_{out})/Q_{in} = 1 - Q_{out}/Q_{in} = 1 - (Q_{23} + Q_{34})/(Q_{41} + Q_{12})[/itex]

Can you show us what this reduces to?

AM

Last edited:

I cannot confirm or deny the accuracy of your calculation without more information about the specific Stirling heat engine and its operating conditions. However, I can provide some general comments on the efficiency of a Stirling heat engine.

The efficiency of a Stirling heat engine is defined as the ratio of the net work output to the heat input. In other words, it is a measure of how well the engine converts heat energy into mechanical work. The maximum theoretical efficiency of a Stirling heat engine is given by the Carnot efficiency, which is equal to 1 - (T1/T2), where T1 is the temperature of the hot reservoir and T2 is the temperature of the cold reservoir.

In order to improve the efficiency of a Stirling heat engine, several factors can be considered. These include increasing the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, reducing heat losses, and optimizing the design and operation of the engine. Additionally, the choice of working fluid and the specific configuration of the engine can also impact its efficiency.

In conclusion, while your calculation may be correct for a specific Stirling heat engine under certain conditions, the efficiency of a Stirling heat engine is a complex and multifactorial concept that cannot be confirmed without more information. As a scientist, it is important to carefully consider all relevant factors and assumptions when analyzing the efficiency of any system.

1. How does a Stirling heat engine work?

A Stirling heat engine works by utilizing the expansion and contraction of a gas (usually air) to convert thermal energy into mechanical work. The engine has two pistons, one hot and one cold, that are connected to a displacer. As the gas is heated, it expands and pushes the displacer, causing the hot piston to move and do work. As the gas cools, it contracts and the displacer moves in the opposite direction, causing the cold piston to move and do work. This cycle repeats, producing a continuous flow of mechanical energy.

2. What is the efficiency of a Stirling heat engine?

The efficiency of a Stirling heat engine is determined by the Carnot efficiency formula, which is dependent on the temperature difference between the hot and cold sides of the engine. The theoretical maximum efficiency of a Stirling engine is 100%, but in practice, efficiencies range from 30-50%.

3. What are the advantages of a Stirling heat engine?

Compared to other heat engines, a Stirling engine has several advantages. It is more efficient than a steam engine, produces less pollution, and can run on a variety of fuel sources such as solar energy, biomass, or waste heat. It also has a longer lifespan and requires less maintenance due to its simple design.

4. What are the limitations of a Stirling heat engine?

One of the main limitations of a Stirling engine is its low power-to-weight ratio. This makes it less suitable for high-power applications. Additionally, the initial cost of a Stirling engine is higher compared to other heat engines, and it may not be as readily available as other types of engines.

5. How is a Stirling heat engine used in practical applications?

Stirling engines have been used in a variety of applications, including power generation, heating and cooling, and transportation. They are commonly used in remote locations where fuel sources may be limited, such as in space missions or in off-grid homes. They are also being explored as a potential alternative to traditional internal combustion engines in vehicles.