Egg Drop Project: Prepping the Container for a Successful Fall

In summary, the conversation is about an egg drop project with specific limits and the goal of preventing the egg from breaking when dropped from 2 and 4 meters. The speaker has tried using a 7 cm tall box filled with bubble wrap but the egg still breaks. Suggestions are given to prevent the egg from bouncing, including popping the bubble wrap, using sticky glue, hard boiling the egg, and filling the box with foam pellets.
tt12555
I have an egg drop project, in which we make a container on the ground that can cushion the fall of the egg. The limits are: 8 cm height max, and 45 x 45 cm box max area and the egg must not break even if it bounces out after hitting the container. It'll be dropped first from a height of 2 meters, then 4 meters. I got a 7 cm tall box and filled it with bubble wrap, and tried dropping it from 2 meters. Problem is, the egg bounces out every time and breaks when test out from 2 meters from . Is there any way I can prevent the egg from bouncing, such as putting something over the bubble wrap?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried popping the bubble wrap? Just a suggestion.

Put a thick layer of very sticky glue over the top layer of bubble wrap. Good luck!

Hard boil the egg first.

Have you tried filling the box with those small foam pellets you get in some packaging instead? It should prevent the bouncing.

1. How do I choose the right container for the egg drop project?

The container for the egg drop project should be sturdy enough to protect the egg from breaking, but also lightweight to ensure a successful fall. Some common materials used for the container include cardboard, foam, and plastic. It is important to also consider the shape and size of the container to provide additional cushion for the egg.

2. What are some materials that can be used to cushion the egg inside the container?

Some common materials used to cushion the egg include cotton balls, bubble wrap, foam peanuts, and shredded paper. These materials help absorb the impact of the fall and protect the egg from breaking.

3. How should I secure the egg inside the container?

There are various ways to secure the egg inside the container, such as using tape, rubber bands, or glue. It is important to make sure the egg is snug and not able to move around freely, but also not too tightly secured to prevent cracking.

4. Should I test the container before the final drop?

Yes, it is important to test the container before the final drop to make any necessary adjustments. You can test the container by dropping it from a low height and gradually increasing the height to simulate the final drop. This allows you to identify any weak spots and make improvements for a successful fall.

5. How can I improve the chances of my egg surviving the fall?

In addition to choosing a sturdy container and cushioning materials, you can also consider adding multiple layers of protection, such as using two containers with cushioning materials in between. You can also strategically place the egg within the container to distribute the impact evenly. It is also important to carefully handle the container during the drop to minimize any sudden movements that could cause the egg to crack.