1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenfunction of the momentum "operator"

1. Mar 6, 2006 #1
    which of the following functions is an eigenfunction of the momentum "operator"

[tex]-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}: [/tex]

[tex]f_1 =cos(kx- \omega t)[/tex]
    [tex]f_2 =e^{a^2x}[/tex]
    [tex]f_3 =e^{-(\omega t+kx)}[/tex]

for this question, i'm not sure what they are looking for...

for f1
    [tex]i \hbar k sin(k x -\omega t) [/tex]
    for f2
    [tex]-i \hbar a^2 e^{a^2x} [/tex]
    for f3
    [tex]- \hbar ke^{-(\omega t+kx)}[/tex]

the eigenvalues for f1 is -k^2
    the eigenvalues for f2 is a^2
    the eigenvalues for f3 is -ik

how do I find the correct eigenfunction?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2006 #2
    careful with your assertions, remember an eigen function says,
    [tex] H \mid v \rangle = \lambda \mid v \rangle [/tex]
    in other words when you act on a vector, you get the function back times the eigenvalue right...check your calculations...hope this helps, sincerely,x

4. Mar 6, 2006 #3

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi UrbanXrisis,

Typically you say that f is an eigenfunction of an operator like [tex] \mathcal{O} = - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/tex] if [tex] \mathcal{O} f = \lambda f[/tex] where [tex] \lambda [/tex] is just some number called the eigenvalue. In other words, if when taking the derivative of f you get the same function back up to an overall constant, then f is an eigenfunction of the momentum operator. There are issues associated with the ability to normalize such functions, but I don't think that's the point of this problem.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  5. Mar 6, 2006 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know what it means for a function f to be an eigenfunction of an operator T?

6. Mar 6, 2006 #5
    ok, so taking [tex]f_2 =e^{a^2x}[/tex] as an example, the eigenfunction is [tex]e^{a^2x}[/tex] and the eigenvalue is [tex]a^2[/tex] because if I took the derivative of the function, it would keep get the eigenfunction multiplied by a^2 over and over again. what I dont understand is how to satisfy: [tex]-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

7. Mar 6, 2006 #6

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, first look up the definition of an eigenfunction. There's no "satisfying" -ih(d/dx). -ih(d/dx) is an operator, you can apply it to any function. Consider the function f(x) = x². There's no "satisfying" f. You can plug in any number for x, and you get another number x². It's the same idea with operators. You plug in your function f into your operator, and you get another function.

Plug the function f(x) = ea2x into -ih(d/dx), and you get:

-ih(d/dx)(exp(a²x)) = -iha²exp(a²x) which is just another function, agree? It's g(x) = -iha²exp(a²x). Now the question is, is g(x) a scalar multiple of f(x)? Yes it is. What is that multiple (it's not a²).

Try a new example, f(x) = cos(x). Plug it in:

-ih(d/dx)(cos(x)) = ihsin(x)

Again, this is just another function, g(x) = ihsin(x). Is this a scalar multiple of f(x)? That is, is there some complex constant z such that

g(x) = zf(x) ?
    ihsin(x) = zcos(x) ?
    sin(x) = (z/ih)cos(x) ?

No! Do you know why?

8. Mar 7, 2006 #7
    ok, so the eigenvalue is really -iha² for ea2x?

as for cos(x) the function changes to sin so it cant be an eigenfunction for -ih(d/dx)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?