1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenval/vect question, double check my answers, dont make sense

1. Jul 11, 2011 #1
    eigenval/vect question, double check my answers, dont make sense.............

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find eigenvalues and eigenvectors of matrix A =

2. Relevant equations
    A -λI etc blah

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm getting λ = 1, -1, 5.

For λ = 1, v = (-1,1,0)t (t being a real integer constant), and double checking says it's right.

For λ = -1, i'm getting v = (1,1,1)t but if i double check by multiplying it with the matrix A i'm not getting something in the form of v (i'm getting like.. 3,3,7, which doesnt make sense to me).

For λ = 5, i got v = (1,1,2)t but again double checking doesnt give a vector in this form! (multiplying this v by A gives me 3,3,14) :angry:

what am i doing wrong??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: eigenval/vect question, double check my answers, dont make sense.............

(1,1,1) is wrong, it is (-1,-1,1).
    You do something wrong with matrix multiplication. How do you do it? The third eigenvector is correct.

ehild

4. Jul 11, 2011 #3
    Re: eigenval/vect question, double check my answers, dont make sense.............

ok yeah my bad, the evect for lambda = -1 is (-1,-1,1) (i rushed).

but multiplying A with (-1,-1,1) gives (-3,-3,7), which still doesnt make sense >:/

5. Jul 11, 2011 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

i get (1,1,-1) as you would expect

6. Jul 11, 2011 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How do you do the multiplication?

Multiply (-1,-1,1) with the
    first column of the original matrix: -1+0+2=1;
    with the second column: 0-1+2=1;
    with the third column: -2-2+3=-1.
    The result is (1,1,-1) =-1(-1,-1,1) as it has to be.

ehild

7. Jul 11, 2011 #6

ok i was multiplying column of matrix by each row of the vector, when i should be multiplying the rows of the matrix by the vector and adding terms.

my bad.

8. Jul 11, 2011 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is the same, you can multiply each element of a row of the matrix with the corresponding element of the vector, and ADD them - so is it OK now?

ehild

9. Jul 11, 2011 #8

A times (-1,-1,1) i (incorrectly) did:

1x-1 + 0x-1 + 2x-1
    0x-1 + 1x-1 + 2x-1
    2x 1 + 2x 1 + 3x 1

giving

-1-2
    -1-2
    2+2+3

resulting in (-3,-3,7)

which is incorrect.

i know how to do it now, thanks ehild and lanedance.
    shouldve remembered this from years ago...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook