1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of two second order ODE's. Solution does not agree with Wolfram.

1. Oct 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the following system of differential equations:

##y''(x) = y'(x) + z'(x) - z(x)##
    ##z''(x) = -5*y'(x) - z'(x) -4*y(x) + z(x)##

2. The attempt at a solution

I converted the two second order equations to 4 first order equations by substituting:
    ##g(x) = y'(x)## and ##h(x) = z'(x)##

So now I have the following system of equations:

##g' = g + h - z##
    ##h' = -5g - h - 4y + z##
    ##y' = g##
    ##z' = h##

I wrote the system in matrix form, solved the characteristic equation for 4 eigenvalues and got
    λ1 = ##1##
    λ2 = ##-1##
    λ3 = ##2i##
    λ4 = ##-2i##

So the eigenvectors are as follows:

V1 = ##(-1,9,-1,9)##
    V2 = ##(-1,1,1,-1)##
    V3 = ##(1,2i,-i/2,1)##
    V4 = ##(1,-2i,i/2,1)##

So then

X1 = ##exp(x)##V1
    X2 = ##exp(-x)##V2
    X3 = ##(cos2x+i*sin2x)##V3
    X4 = ##(cos2x-i*sin2x)##V4

Skipping some steps (separating complex and real parts of the matrices)

I get that the general solution is (in matrix form):

ϒ = C1*X1 + C2*X2 + C3*X3 + C4*X4

Now, since I need the solution just to the last two functions ( ##y(x)## and ##z(x)## )

I multiply out the last two rows of the matrices and get:

##y(x) = -C_1exp(x) + C_2exp(-x) + (C_3/2)sin2x-(C_4/2)cos2x + (C_5/2)sin2x + (C_6/2)cos2x##

I am not too sure how to proceed further because if I group some arbitrary constants together (near sines and cosines), these constants will not match with the constants in the solution for function Z(x). Nevertheless, ##y(x)## appears to not agree with WolframAlpha:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=system of equations&a=*C.system of equations-_*Calculator.dflt-&a=FSelect_**SolveSystemOf2EquationsCalculator--&f3=y''(x)=y'(x)+z'(x)-z(x)&f=SolveSystemOf4EquationsCalculator.equation1_y''(x)=y'(x)+z'(x)-z(x)&f4= z''(x)=-5*y'(x)-z'(x)-4*y(x)+z(x)&f=SolveSystemOf4EquationsCalculator.equation2_ z''(x)=-5*y'(x)-z'(x)-4*y(x)+z(x)&f5=&f=SolveSystemOf4EquationsCalculator.equation3_&f6=&f=SolveSystemOf4EquationsCalculator.equation4_

I can't seem to find a mistake. Can anyone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Nice problem… good review for me. It sounds like your method is correct, so it's probably just algebra and sign mistakes. I'm not sure what your ##c_5## and ##c_6## are, however.

One thing I learned is that if you calculate ##\vec{v}_3 e^{2it}##, the real and imaginary parts give you the two independent solutions for the complex roots. That saves doing a bit of algebra, and I think it'll help you avoid whatever error you made. This is the solution I ended up with (with ##x## replaced by ##t##):
    $$\begin{bmatrix} g \\ h \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix} =
    c_1 \begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ 9 \\ -1 \\ 9 \end{bmatrix} e^t +
    c_2 \begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \\ -1 \end{bmatrix} e^{-t} +
    c_3 \begin{bmatrix} \cos 2t \\ -2 \sin 2t \\ \frac 12 \sin 2t \\ \cos 2t \end{bmatrix} +
    c_4 \begin{bmatrix} \sin 2t \\ 2 \cos 2t \\ -\frac 12 \cos 2t \\ \sin 2t \end{bmatrix}.$$ The results from Wolfram Alpha are kind of a pain to compare to because they're not simplified. I did verify the solution I got in Mathematica.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  4. Oct 26, 2014 #3
    Alright. So if I understand you correctly the real parts and the complex parts of

X3 = ##(cos2x+i*sin2x)##V3
    X4 = ##(cos2x-i*sin2x)##V4

are linearly dependant matrices so I can eliminate one real and one complex part? That does makes sense.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  5. Oct 26, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, though I wouldn't say you're eliminating anything. You're just rearranging terms and combining constants. ##\vec{x}_3## and ##\vec{x}_4## are complex conjugates, so each component of ##c_3 \vec{x}_3 + c_4 \vec{x}_4## is of the form ##c_3 (p+iq) + c_4 (p-iq) = (c_3+c_4) p + i(c_3-c_4)q##.

6. Oct 26, 2014 #5
    Thanks for clearing things up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted