1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Region Question for a Double Integral Substitution

1. Mar 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the double integral integral ∫∫2x^2-xy-y^2 dxdy for the region R in the first quadrant bounded by the lines y=-2x+4, y=-2x+7, y=x-2, and y=x+1 using the transformation x=1/3(u+v), y=1/3(-2u+v).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've obtained the Jacobian (it's 1/3) and I've plugged in the transformation equations into the line equations to get 4<=v<=7 and -1<=u<=2.

My question is pretty simple: if the region R is in the first quadrant, does the transformed region also need to be restricted to the first quadrant? As I'm typing this and thinking about it, It doesn't really make sense to restrict the transformed region to the first quadrant, but if someone could confirm that I would appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the xy region is R, the integral over R transforms in uv space to the integral over whatever region R transforms to with the substitution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted