1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalue method for solving system of differential equations

1. Dec 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is the question along with my work. I attempted to solve for the actual solution using both eigenvectors. From what I have been taught it should yield the same answer... But as you can see (circled in red) the solutions are clearly different. Is this normal or maybe because I am making an algebra mistake?

I know for sure the solution in attempt 1 is correct because that is what wolfram alpha gives me. But attempt 2 for some reason has a different answer.
    WRwEq.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I really don't understand what you mean by "solving with V1" and "solving with V2". The general solution, from which you get the solution with the given initial values, must be a linear combination of V1 and[ V2. You cannot get a solution from either one alone.

4. Dec 9, 2012 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

This is not true. You can retrieve a real valued solution from either [itex]x^{(1)}[/itex] or [itex]x^{(2)}[/itex] by taking the real parts of either one by using Euler's formula.

5. Dec 9, 2012 #4
    Yup, take a look at the first example from Pauls notes. They said you only need one eigenvector:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/ComplexEigenvalues.aspx

So am I doung something wrong or am I suppose to get a slightly different answer?

6. Dec 9, 2012 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

In your solution with [itex]v_2[/itex], you should have substituted [itex]\mu = -3\sqrt 3[/itex] into the your formula. Since [itex]\sin(-3\sqrt3 t) = - \sin(3 \sqrt 3 t)[/itex], the result is that every term multiplied by [itex]\sin (3 \sqrt3 t)[/itex] has the wrong sign.

Make that correction and you should get the same result as with [itex]v_1[/itex].

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  7. Dec 9, 2012 #6
    Wow! After doing these for such a long time I did not know that. I always thought you just took the magnitude of the eigenvalue... At least that's what it looked like in the generic formula I wrote and copied from the professor.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook