1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues and eigenfunctions

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How does one find all the permissible values of [itex]b [/itex] for [itex]-{d\over dx}(-e^{ax}y')-ae^{ax}y=be^{ax}y[/itex] with boundary conditions [itex]y(0)=y(1)=0[/itex]?

Thanks.

2. Relevant equations
    See above

3. The attempt at a solution

I assume we have a discrete set of [itex]\{b_n\}[/itex] where they can be regarded as eigenvalues? After that how does one find the corresponding [itex]\{y_n\}[/itex]? I am sure we substitute the [itex]\{b_n\}[/itex] into the equation, but then I still don't know how this equation is solved. Please help! Perhaps it is easier to find the permissible [itex]b[/itex]'s if we write the equation in the form [itex]y''+ay'+(a+b)y=0[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, it would be y''+ ay'- (a+b)y= 0, but yes, that is the simplest way to approach this problem. What is the general solution to that equation? What must b equal in order that there be a solution to this boundary value problem? Remember that the characteristice equation may, depending upon b, have real or complex roots.

4. Sep 26, 2011 #3
    @HallsofIvy:

Would the general solution be [itex]y(x)=A\exp[\frac{-a+\sqrt{a^2+4(a+b)}}{2}]+B\exp[\frac{-a-\sqrt{a^2+4(a+b)}}{2}][/itex]
    And then the BC's mean that [itex]A+B=0[/itex] and [itex]\exp[\frac{-a+\sqrt{a^2+4(a+b)}}{2}]-\exp[\frac{-a-\sqrt{a^2+4(a+b)}}{2}]=0[/itex], therefore we need [itex]\sqrt{a^2+4(a+b)}=0[/itex] i.e. [itex]b={-1\over 4}(a^2+4a)[/itex]? Is this the only permissible [itex]b[/itex]?

Thanks.

5. Sep 26, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. You are assuming, incorrectly, that the solution must be of the form [itex]Ce^{r_1x}+ De^{r_2x}[/itex]. That is true only if the characteristic equation has two real roots. In fact, what you give is NOT a "permissible value of b". With that value of b, your characteristic equation reduces to [itex](r+ a/2)^2= 0[/itex] so that the only solution is [itex]-a/2[/itex]. In that case, the general solution to the equation is [itex]y(x)= Ce^{-ax/2}+ Dte^{-ax/2}[/itex]. The condition that y(0)= 0 gives C= 0 and then the condition that y(1)= 0 gives [itex]De^{-a/2}= 0[/itex] so that D= 0. That is not a non-trivial solution.

As I said before, look at complex roots to the characteristic equation.

6. Sep 26, 2011 #5
    @HallsofIvy:

Thanks. So the general solution is [itex]y(x)=\exp({-ax\over 2})[A\sin({\sqrt{-a-4(a+b)}\over 2}x)+B\cos({\sqrt{-a-4(a+b)}\over 2}x)].[/itex]

Then [itex]B=0[/itex] and we need [itex]A\sin({\sqrt{-a-4(a+b)}\over 2}x)=0[/itex] for [itex]A\neq 0[/itex] so [itex]{\sqrt{-a-4(a+b)}\over 2}=n\pi[/itex]

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook