Einstein began looking for gravity in the electromagnetic waves

In summary: So maybe gravity is not a force after all, but a geometry in space-time. However, this hasn't been confirmed.
asymmetric
I Read That Einstein Began Searching For An Explanation Of Gravity In The Em Waves...
I'm Not Aware That This Has Been Proven To Be Wrong.
I Only See That Em Has Been Related To The Weak Force..
Can Gravity Be Only After Em Waves Exist Or Does Gravity Exist At And Within The Weak And Strong Force Levels...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why Are You Writing Like This? It's very annoying. I'm also not sure what you're asking.

Einstein didn't try to explain gravity in terms of electromagnetism. I'll leave it for someone else to explain what he actually did.

im not 100% sure but i think Einstein didn't try and explain gravity with em waves, but tried to make e&m a geometry rather then a field so that gravity and e&m could be one in the same

Maybe you are referring to the attempt of Kaluza and Klein to unify gravity and electromagnetism ?

According to general relativity, the gravity field is not just another classical ordinary field; it represents space-time geometry. So the theory is a lot more besides the Einstein equations. This is very different from electromagnetism; here the vector potential is described by Maxwell's equations, and this field lives in ( the cotangent space of ) space-time, but doesn't affect it according to the Maxwell equations. Kaluza and Klein tried the following: assume an extra dimension in space time, and use this degree of freedom to incorporate the vector potential in this 5-dimensional space-time metric. Calculate again the variation of the Hilbert action, and see what happens. With a right choice of incorporation, the Einstein-Maxwell equations appear.

What is also very peculiar about this, is that there are derivatives of the gravitational coupling "constant" pop up. This suggests that maybe this coupling is not a constant, but could be a scalar function.

1. What is the connection between gravity and electromagnetic waves?

The connection between gravity and electromagnetic waves is that gravity is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and it interacts with all other forces, including the electromagnetic force. Therefore, it is believed that gravity should also have some influence on electromagnetic waves.

2. Why did Einstein start looking for gravity in electromagnetic waves?

Einstein began looking for gravity in electromagnetic waves because he was trying to unify the four fundamental forces of nature, including gravity and electromagnetism. He believed that if gravity could be shown to have an electromagnetic component, it would bring us closer to a unified theory of physics.

3. Did Einstein find evidence of gravity in electromagnetic waves?

No, Einstein did not find conclusive evidence of gravity in electromagnetic waves. However, his theories and research paved the way for future scientists to explore the potential connection between these two fundamental forces.

4. How did Einstein's search for gravity in electromagnetic waves impact modern physics?

Einstein's search for gravity in electromagnetic waves greatly impacted modern physics by pushing scientists to further investigate the relationship between gravity and electromagnetism. This has led to the development of theories such as string theory and attempts to unify all fundamental forces.

5. Are there any current studies or experiments being conducted to search for gravity in electromagnetic waves?

Yes, there are currently ongoing studies and experiments being conducted to search for gravity in electromagnetic waves. Some of these include gravitational wave detectors, which look for ripples in spacetime caused by the interaction of gravity and electromagnetism, and studies on the effects of gravity on electromagnetic signals in space.