Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein equation point mass solution

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    I'm just getting a taste of computational GR, and I have a question regarding the metric for the single point mass solution for the einstein equation.

The metric in spherical coordinates for a point mass at [tex]r=0[/tex] is

[tex]\eta=\left(\begin{matrix}-\left(1-\frac{2GM}{c^2r}\right) & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{1}{1-\frac{2GM}{c^2r}} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & r^2 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & r^2\sin^2\theta \end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

As expected, it is symmetrical wrt angle, and I recognize [tex]\eta_{00}[/tex] (time entry) as the negativa square of the gravitational time dilation constant.

The spatial [tex]\eta_{11}[/tex] entry for radius goes to infinity as r approaches the swartzschild radius. At this radius, photons can orbit the point mass.

Is the a way to compute the curvature of space and of space-time a radius r away from the sphere without computing the entire Riemann tensor?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Not really, though. At r=2M, photons directed radially outward stay at constant radial coordinate, but I wouldn't call this an orbit. The photon sphere, where photons truly do move in circular orbits, is at r=3M.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook