Einstein notation and the permutation symbol

In summary, the expression εijkaiaj is the kth component of the cross product of vector a and b, and since it is the cross product of a vector with itself, it equals zero. The notation used follows the convention that ^ represents the cross product, and εijk is the Levi-Civita symbol. Switching indices changes the sign of the symbol, but since a and b are the same vector, the expression equals zero.
rcummings89

Homework Statement

This is my first exposure to Einstein notation and I'm not sure if I'm understanding it entirely. Also I added this class after my instructor had already lectured about the topic and largely had to teach myself, so I ask for your patience in advance...

The question is:
Evaluate the following expression: εijkaiaj

Homework Equations

a ^ b = ai ei ^ bj ej = aibj (ei ^ ei) = aibj εijk ek

Where I'm following his notation that ^ represents the cross product of the two vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, just going off what I have seen so far in the handout he has posted, I believe the answer to be

εijkaiaj = (a ^ a)k or, εijkaiaj is the kth component of a ^ b and because the expression is a vector crossed with itself it is equal to zero

But what does it mean to be the kth component of a cross product? Honestly I'm working backward from a similar to an example he has in the handout and making the assumption that the reason the ek component is absent from the expression is because it is the kth component of the cross product, but from what I have to reference I cannot say with any degree of certainty if that is true and it makes me uncomfortable. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
rcummings89 said:

Homework Statement

This is my first exposure to Einstein notation and I'm not sure if I'm understanding it entirely. Also I added this class after my instructor had already lectured about the topic and largely had to teach myself, so I ask for your patience in advance...

The question is:
Evaluate the following expression: εijkaiaj

Homework Equations

a ^ b = ai ei ^ bj ej = aibj (ei ^ ei) = aibj εijk ek

Where I'm following his notation that ^ represents the cross product of the two vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, just going off what I have seen so far in the handout he has posted, I believe the answer to be

εijkaiaj = (a ^ a)k or, εijkaiaj is the kth component of a ^ b and because the expression is a vector crossed with itself it is equal to zero

But what does it mean to be the kth component of a cross product? Honestly I'm working backward from a similar to an example he has in the handout and making the assumption that the reason the ek component is absent from the expression is because it is the kth component of the cross product, but from what I have to reference I cannot say with any degree of certainty if that is true and it makes me uncomfortable. Any help is greatly appreciated.

For a vector, [itex]a_k[/itex] is the component corresponding to [itex]\mathbf{e}_k[/itex]. Thus [itex]\mathbf{a} = a_1 \mathbf{e}_1 + a_2 \mathbf{e}_2 + a_3\mathbf{e}_3[/itex]. If you work out the cross product of [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{b}[/itex] you'll find that the [itex]\mathbf{e}_1[/itex] component is [itex]a_2b_3 - a_3b_2 = \epsilon_{ij1}a_i b_j[/itex] and similarly for the other components. Thus [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}a_i b_j[/itex] is the [itex]\mathbf{e}_k[/itex] component of [itex]\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b}[/itex].

You can get that [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}a_ia_j = 0[/itex] more easily by observing that swapping the dummy indices [itex]i[/itex] and [itex]j[/itex] changes the sign of [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex] but doesn't change the sign of [itex]a_ia_j[/itex]; thus [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}a_ia_j = \epsilon_{jik}a_ja_i = -\epsilon_{ijk}a_ia_j = 0[/itex]. The same argument shows that if [itex]T_{ij}[/itex] is any symmetric tensor then [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}T_{ij} = 0[/itex].

pasmith,
Thank you for clarifying, that definitely helps! But it does bring up another question for me though; again, I'm in the early stages of learning about this notation, and know that switching the indices changes εijk to εjik = -εijk, but why does it equal zero?

1. What is Einstein notation and how is it used?

Einstein notation, also known as index notation or tensor notation, is a mathematical notation used to write and manipulate equations involving tensors. It uses repeated indices to represent summation over all possible values of that index in an expression.

2. What is the permutation symbol in Einstein notation?

The permutation symbol, also known as the Levi-Civita symbol, is a mathematical symbol used in Einstein notation to represent the sign of a permutation. It is defined as 1 if the indices are in an even permutation, -1 if they are in an odd permutation, and 0 if any indices are repeated.

3. How do you raise and lower indices in Einstein notation?

Indices in Einstein notation can be raised or lowered by using the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object that defines the inner product between vectors in a particular space. Raising and lowering indices is done by multiplying the tensor by the metric tensor or its inverse.

4. What is the significance of the summation convention in Einstein notation?

The summation convention in Einstein notation states that when an index appears twice in an expression, it implies summation over all possible values of that index. This allows for more compact and concise equations, making it easier to perform calculations and write equations in a more readable form.

5. How is Einstein notation used in physics?

Einstein notation is widely used in the field of physics, particularly in the study of relativity and electromagnetism. It is used to write and manipulate equations involving tensors, which are crucial in these fields for describing physical quantities such as energy, momentum, and forces. It also allows for a more elegant and concise representation of physical laws and equations.