1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic collision between an unknown mass and an alpha particle

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In an elastic collision between an alpha particle and an unknown nucleus at rest, the alpha particle was deflected through a right angle and lost 40 percent of its energy . Identify the mysterious nucleus.

2. Relevant equations

(E2)/(E0)=[4*gamma/(gamma+1)^2]*(sin(phi/2))^2

[tex]\theta[/tex]2=.5*(pi-phi)

gamma is the ratio between the alpha mass particle and the unknown mass
    3. The attempt at a solution

Is the deflected angle the recoil angle? If so then I can use the recoil angle to find phi. Then I can use phi to find gamma and with gamma since I know the mass of an alpha particle, I can find the unknown mass. When the problem says the recoil angle loses 40 % of its energy , doesn't that mean E2=.4E0

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi pentazoid! :smile:

Yes, the deflected angle is the recoil angle …

but no, E2=.6E0 :wink:

4. Jan 22, 2009 #3
    if my deflected angle is 90 degrees that means my phi is zero. which means sin(phi/2) is zero, which means then that there is no way to determine what the unknown mass is

5. Jan 23, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm confused :confused:

isn't φ = π/2?

6. Jan 24, 2009 #5

turin

Homework Helper

Not if you mean the angle that the nucleas recoils. Conservation of energy and momentum determine this recoil angle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?