Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic Collision of two tennis balls

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    Hi, I came across this question which i couldnt figure out why the kinetic energy of the table-tennis ball is greater than the bowling ball after collision.

Qn:
    A table-tennis ball is thrown at a stationary bowling ball. The table-tennis ball makes a one-dimensional elastic collision and bounces back along the same line. After the collision, compared to the bowling ball, the table-tennis ball has (a) a larger magnitude of momentum and more kinetic energy (b) a smaller magnitude of momentum and more kinetic energy (c) a larger magnitude of momentum and less kinetic energy (d) a smaller magnitude of momentum and less kinetic energy (e) the same magnitude of momentum and the same kinetic energy..

Answer is b.

I understand why momentum is smaller. So you can actually skip explaining that part to me. Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2
    Take the limit of a bowling ball that is so heavy that it does *not* move at all when the tennis ball hits it. Does the tennis ball have more kinetic energy than the bowling ball?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook