Elastic energy stored in a shaft under torsion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of elastic energy stored in a hollow drive shaft under constant torque. The relevant equations include T/K = Gθ/L = τ/r, K = (π/2)(a^4 - b^4), and P = (1/2)(σ^2/E). The work done is given by Uk = Tθ/2, where θ is the angular displacement and T is the applied torque. The final solution involves using the equation Uk = Tθ/2 and taking into account the linear relationship between torque and angle θ, resulting in a final equation of Uk = (LT^2)/(2(Gπ/2)(a^4 - b^4)).
mibjkk

Homework Statement

Consider a hollow drive shaft of length L, inner radius b, outer radius a. A constant torque is applied (we can assume one end of the shaft is fixed because we're applying a constant torque T regardless of the angular velocity of the shaft). We know material properties of the shaft, G the shear modulus and E young's modulus, plus any others we might need.

Homework Equations

(i) T/K = G[tex]\Theta[/tex]/L = [tex]\tau[/tex]/r
(ii) K for a hollow cylinder is K = ([tex]\pi[/tex]/2)([tex]a^{4}[/tex] - [tex]b^{4}[/tex])
(iii) Elastic energy stored per unit volume P = (1/2)([tex]\sigma^{2}[/tex]/E) where [tex]\sigma[/tex] is the maximum stress applied to that unit area

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if these are all the relevant equations, but here is what I've tried.
- At any point distance r from the center of the cylinder, there is a shear stress [tex]\tau[/tex] = rT/K = (rT[tex]\pi[/tex]/2)([tex]a^{4}[/tex] - [tex]b^{4}[/tex]). If I plug this into my original equation for elastic energy per unit volume, then integrate over the volume of the cylinder, I find

E(T) = 1/(2E)[tex]\int\int\int[/tex][([tex]\pi[/tex]rT/2)([tex]a^{4}[/tex] - [tex]b^{4}[/tex])]^2 dr d[tex]\theta[/tex] dL.

I get as a result

E(T) = [tex]((\pi^{3}LT^{2})/(12E)) (a^{4} - b^{4})^{2} (a^{3} - b^{3}))[/tex]

This answer seems fairly reasonable, because it depends on L, but I am a little worried that it would have a factor of a^8, which seems excessively high for an engineering problem. Also, I'm skeptical of being able to substitute shear stress from (i) for tensile stress in (iii). Would I use the shear modulus G instead of young's modulus E? Is this derivation mostly correct, or is there a complete different approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
The work done is given by Uk=Tθ/2.

From the equation of three above you can find θ in terms of T and find Uk.

I understand the idea behind Uk=Tθ/2, but where does the factor of 1/2 come from?

From what I understand, the work done by a torque over an angular distance is given by [tex]\int Td\theta[/tex], integrated from 0 to [tex]\theta[/tex], which results in an equation for the energy put into the shaft being:
[tex]U_{k} = T \theta[/tex]

Using your method, I come to the following solution:
[tex]\theta=LT/KG[/tex]
[tex]K = (\pi/2)(a^{4} - b^{4})[/tex], L, T and G are constants

then [tex]U_{k} = (LT^{2})/((G\pi/2)(a^{4} - b^{4}))[/tex], or 1/2 that using your equation of [tex]U_{k} = T\theta/2[/tex]

This answer is definitely more accurate. I realize that since rotation is linearly related to torque and elastic energy is stored as the square of the angular rotation, T should be squared as the new equation.

If possible, help me understand the factor of 2 please.

Torque relates linearly with angle θ.

So on a T-θ diagram, from 0 to θ, the shape (graph) formed is a triangle of height T and base θ.

The area under that graph gives the work done Uk. So Uk=(T)*(θ)/2=Tθ/2

1. What is elastic energy stored in a shaft under torsion?

Elastic energy stored in a shaft under torsion refers to the potential energy that is stored in a shaft when it is twisted or subjected to a twisting force. This energy is stored in the form of stress and strain within the material of the shaft.

2. How is elastic energy calculated in a shaft under torsion?

The elastic energy stored in a shaft under torsion can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * G * θ^2, where E is the elastic energy, G is the shear modulus of the material, and θ is the angle of twist.

3. What factors affect the amount of elastic energy stored in a shaft under torsion?

The amount of elastic energy stored in a shaft under torsion is affected by factors such as the shape and dimensions of the shaft, the material properties, and the magnitude of the twisting force applied.

4. How is elastic energy released from a shaft under torsion?

Elastic energy can be released from a shaft under torsion by reversing the twisting force or by allowing the shaft to return to its original position. This causes the stored energy to be converted back into kinetic energy as the shaft returns to its original shape.

5. What are some real-world applications of elastic energy stored in a shaft under torsion?

Elastic energy stored in a shaft under torsion is commonly used in various mechanical systems, such as in torsion springs, drilling equipment, and helicopter rotors. It is also utilized in sports equipment, such as tennis rackets and golf clubs, to provide extra power and stability.