1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the shear stress and angle of twist in hollow shaft

1. Mar 4, 2015 #1
    MODERATOR NOTE: THIS THREAD WAS ORIGINALLY IN ANOTHER FORUM, SO THERE IS NO TEMPLATE.

I have a hollow shaft made of a titanium alloy, Shear Modulus "G". The shaft has a wall thickness of 3.2mm and an inner diameter of 20mm. The shaft looks as show in the attached image. A torque T of 232 Nmm is applied to the tube. How do I :
    a) Find out the shear stress in both sections of the tube
    b) Find the angle of twist of the entire component? 1425465552016686580234.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The attached image says the shaft is made from steel.

You want to find the shear stress and angle of twist for a similar shaft made on unknown titanium alloy with no specified material properties.

Exactly how do you expect to make this calculation without more information?

4. Mar 4, 2015 #3
    For this problem, what is the equation for the shear strain on a plane of constant z in the θ direction?

Chet

5. Mar 4, 2015 #4
    No, the image is for Part 1, Part 2 shown under it is unrelated. The Part 1 question simply states titanium, and expects me to find out what the properties are.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted