Elastic pendulum energy problem

In summary: Yes, you need to consider all three forces (weight, spring, and tension) when calculating work. And you need to know the tension in order to solve for delta-L, which is what the second part of the question is asking for.
holezch

Homework Statement

Suppose that the string in fig 8-12 (just a pendulum released from the side and falls to the bottom) is very elastic, made of rubber, say, and that the string is unextended at length l when the ball is released.

a) explain why you would expect the ball to reach a low point greater than a distance l below the point of suspension.

b) show, using dynamic and energy considerations, that if [tex]\Delta[/tex]l is small compared to l, the string will stretch by an amount [tex]\Delta[/tex]l = 3 mg/k, where k is the assumed force constant of the string.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for a, I suppose that the weight would displace the mass further down before the force of the string -kx "pulls" it back. but I'm not entirely sure..

for b) I tried to work out the change in K = Work from weight + work from string(spring like). I think if the change in l is small compared to l, then I can just say change in l + l = l, approximately. besides that, I'm not really sure.. any help please? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I stopped thinking about this but now came back to it.. please, can someone help? My argument is that the weight will pull it down until the force done by the rubber band (-kx) is >= than the weight.

For part b, I got pretty close:

if [tex]\Delta[/tex]L is relatively small to L, then L+[tex]\Delta[/tex]L is approximately L.

So, just as it is released, the system has an energy level of mgL + [tex]\Delta[/tex]L, approximately mgL. Then the system at its lowest point will have K approx = mgL. At the point just as the rubber band is about to stretch, mgL = K + mg[tex]\Delta[/tex]L. Then, K = mgL - mg[tex]\Delta[/tex]L.

So then we have

[tex]\Delta[/tex]k = [tex]\Sigma[/tex] Wc

or approximately,

mgL - mgL + mg[tex]\Delta[/tex]L = -k[tex]\Delta[/tex]L^2 - mg[tex]\Delta[/tex]L

2mg[tex]\Delta[/tex]L = -k[tex]\Delta[/tex]L^2

then we have 2mg = -K[tex]\Delta[/tex]L

and [tex]\Delta[/tex]L = 2mg/-K

but the answer is 3 mg / K.. What went wrong?

thanks

Last edited:
okay, I realized my error - there is no "At the point just as the rubber band is about to stretch, mgL = K + mgL. Then, K = mgL - mgL." the rubber band stretches delta L over the fall.
back to the drawing board..

can anybody help? please?

still looking for help..

for a, I suppose that the weight would displace the mass further down before the force of the string -kx "pulls" it back. but I'm not entirely sure..

Write out Newton's second law for the radial (towards the center) direction. You'll see that the tension in the string has to balance out the radial component of gravity and provide the centripetal acceleration. What happens to both as the bob moves downwards?

for b) I tried to work out the change in K = Work from weight + work from string(spring like). I think if the change in l is small compared to l, then I can just say change in l + l = l, approximately. besides that, I'm not really sure.. any help please? thanks

Try writing out the equation for K = Work from weight + work from string in terms of l, delta-l, k, m, etc.

I don't quite understand the calculations you did for b, so here's a hint: go back to the equation you wrote in part a) for the radial direction. You'll see that if you know the speed of the pendulum at the bottom, you can solve for tension. From there you can solve for delta-L. How do you use the conservation of energy to solve for speed?

ideasrule said:
I don't quite understand the calculations you did for b, so here's a hint: go back to the equation you wrote in part a) for the radial direction. You'll see that if you know the speed of the pendulum at the bottom, you can solve for tension. From there you can solve for delta-L. How do you use the conservation of energy to solve for speed?

thanks a lot - I appreciate it. but don't we already know the kinetic energy at the bottom? and what's the idea behind "that if that if LaTeX Code: \\Delta l is small compared to l".. should we consider L + delta L to just be L? I tried to solve for delta-L by sum of work = change in K.. where we know the bottom K

thanks again! :)

If you write out the equation I mentioned, you'd see that T=mg+mv^2/L at the bottom. delta-L=T/k, so you need to find v in order to find delta-L. Yes, you know the kinetic energy at the bottom, so finding v should be easy.

Also, yes, you can consider L+delta-L to equal L when computing v.

thanks for replying. when I calculate the work = change in K, I need to calculate the work done by the weight, the spring force and the tension right? is that why I need to know about the tension? (other than the first part of the question)

1. What is an elastic pendulum?

An elastic pendulum is a type of pendulum where the mass at the end is attached to a spring, allowing it to oscillate back and forth. The spring adds an additional element of elasticity to the system, which affects the motion and energy of the pendulum.

2. How does the energy of an elastic pendulum change?

The energy of an elastic pendulum changes as it oscillates due to the conversion between potential energy and kinetic energy. When the pendulum is at its highest point, it has maximum potential energy. As it swings down, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. As it swings back up, this kinetic energy is converted back into potential energy, and the cycle continues.

3. What factors affect the energy of an elastic pendulum?

The energy of an elastic pendulum is affected by several factors, including the mass of the pendulum, the length of the pendulum, and the stiffness of the spring. These factors can affect the period and amplitude of the pendulum's oscillations, which in turn affect the energy.

4. How do you calculate the energy of an elastic pendulum?

The energy of an elastic pendulum can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2 kA^2, where E is the total energy, k is the spring constant, and A is the amplitude of the pendulum's oscillations. This equation takes into account the potential energy stored in the spring and the kinetic energy of the pendulum.

5. How can the energy of an elastic pendulum be applied in real-world situations?

The energy of an elastic pendulum has many practical applications, such as in clocks, toys, and even renewable energy systems. The constant and predictable motion of an elastic pendulum can be harnessed to power devices or to keep time accurately. Additionally, understanding the energy of an elastic pendulum can help engineers and scientists design more efficient and effective systems that utilize elastic pendulums.