Elastic pendulum - Lagrangian approach

In summary, a spring of rest length L_0 (no tension) is connected to a support at one end and has a mass M attached at the other. The mass M only stretches without bending, but it can swing in a vertical plane. The Lagrangian is: \mathcal{L} = T - V = \frac{M}{2}(\dot{r}^2 + r^2\dot{\phi}^2) - (\frac{k}{2} x^2 - Mgr\cos\phi)The Euler-Lagrange equations in x and \phi are:\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial x} - \frac
szany

Homework Statement

A spring of rest length [tex]L_0[/tex] (no tension) is connected to a support at one end and has a mass [tex]M[/tex] attached at the other. Neglect the mass of the spring, the dimension of the mass [tex]M[/tex], and assume that the motion is confined to a vertical plane. Also, assume that the spring only stretches without bending but it can swing in the plane.

(a) Using the angular displacement of the mass from the vertical and the length that the spring has stretched from its rest length (hanging with the mass [tex]M[/tex]), solve Lagrange's equations for small stretching and angular displacement.

(b) Solve Lagrange's equations to the next order in both stretching and angular displacement. This is still amenable to hand calculations. Using some reasonable assumptions about the spring constant, the mass, and the rest length, discuss the motion. Is resonance likely under the assumptions stated?

Homework Equations

Formula for the Lagrangian; Euler-Lagrange equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

The Lagrangian is:

[tex]\mathcal{L} = T - V = \frac{M}{2}(\dot{r}^2 + r^2\dot{\phi}^2) - (\frac{k}{2} x^2 - Mgr\cos\phi)[/tex]

where [tex]r = L_0 + x[/tex] (i.e. [tex]r[/tex] is the stretched length of the spring, and [tex]x[/tex] is the deviation from the rest length). [tex]\phi[/tex] is the angular displacement where zero is hanging straight down.

The Euler-Lagrange equations in [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] are:

[tex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial x} - \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t} \left(\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{x}}\right) = M(L_0 + x)\dot{\phi}^2 - (kx - Mg\cos\phi) - M\ddot{x} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi} - \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t} \left(\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{\phi}}\right) = - Mg(L_0 + x)\sin\phi - M((L_0 + x)^2\ddot{\phi} + 2(L_0 + x)\dot{x}\dot{\phi}) = 0[/tex]

My guess at approximating for small angular displacements is to set [tex]\sin\phi = \phi[/tex] and [tex]\cos\phi = 1[/tex], but I don't know whether this should be before or after differentiating the Lagrangian, and I don't know the right way to approximate for small stretching.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Small angle approximations must be applied after making derivatives of the lagrange equations. Remember that in this approx:

[tex]
\dot{\theta}=0
[/tex]

(In notation you have used, [tex]
\dot{\phi}=0
[/tex]

javiergra24 said:
Remember that in this approx:

[tex]
\dot{\theta}=0
[/tex]

But then must not [tex]\ddot{\phi} = 0[/tex]? If so, the second equation becomes [tex]Mg(L_0 + x)\phi = 0[/tex], which means [tex]\phi = 0[/tex]; a bit excessive for a small angle approximation.

On the other hand, leaving [tex]\ddot{\phi}[/tex] alone, [tex]x[/tex] drops out completely from the second equation and (using [tex]x \ll L_0[/tex]) I get independent equations for [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] (equivalent to F=ma for a hanging spring and a swinging pendulum respectively).

[tex]\ddot{x} = - g - \frac{k}{M}x[/tex]

[tex]\ddot{\phi} = - \frac{g}{L_0}\phi[/tex]

Last edited:
Are you sure your derivative with respect to x is correct? I think you should get a term linear in x when you differentiate the kinetic energy.

vela said:
Are you sure your derivative with respect to x is correct? I think you should get a term linear in x when you differentiate the kinetic energy.

Aha you're right; I missed a power of 2. Silly.

I'll edit the equations to make sense. Everything looks good now.

After checking my books and exercises I think the best way is:

First of all calculate the equilibrium angle ([tex] \ddot{\phi}=\dot{\phi}=0} [/tex] You'll find an angle [tex] \phi_{0}[/tex] (remember that you'll get a constant.

Then you can find the small angle frecuency by doing an approximation:

[tex] \phi=\phi_{0}+\epsilon=0} [/tex] where [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is the angle for small vibrations.

Use this in the equation for the angle in order to find an equation for [tex]\epsilon[/tex].
You can also check Marion's texbook (chapter 7).

Last edited:
javiergra24 said:
After checking my books and exercises I think the best way is:

First of all calculate the equilibrium angle ([tex] \ddot{\phi}=\dot{\phi}=0} [/tex] You'll find an angle [tex] \phi_{0}[/tex] (remember that you'll get a constant.

Then you can find the small angle frecuency by doing an approximation:

[tex] \phi=\phi_{0}+\epsilon=0} [/tex] where [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is the angle for small vibrations.

Use this in the equation for the angle in order to find an equation for [tex]\epsilon[/tex].

I'm not sure I understand. From your equation, [tex]\phi = \epsilon = 0[/tex] (since [tex]\phi_0 = 0[/tex] clearly satisfies [tex] \ddot{\phi}=\dot{\phi}=0} [/tex]).

Is something wrong with the result I got above?

It's been a long time since I took classical mechanics, so this might be a misguided suggestion. Are you familiar with diagonalizing the Lagrangian? If the technique applies, I seem to recall it made solving this type of problem pretty straightforward.

Be careful: Your [tex] L_0[/tex] is not the [tex] L_0[/tex] given in the question.
You have to use the rest length with a mass hanging in a gravitational field which will be slightly larger.

1. What is an elastic pendulum?

An elastic pendulum is a physical system consisting of a mass attached to a spring, which is suspended from a fixed point. The mass is allowed to oscillate back and forth, and the spring provides the restoring force, causing the pendulum to exhibit periodic motion.

2. What is the Lagrangian approach?

The Lagrangian approach is a mathematical framework used to describe the dynamics of physical systems. It is based on the principle of least action and provides a more elegant and concise approach to solving complex problems compared to traditional Newtonian mechanics.

3. How is the Lagrangian approach applied to an elastic pendulum?

In the Lagrangian approach, the elastic pendulum is treated as a single system with two degrees of freedom: the angle of the pendulum and the extension of the spring. The Lagrangian function is then constructed using the kinetic and potential energies of the system, and the equations of motion are derived using the Euler-Lagrange equations.

4. What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian approach for an elastic pendulum?

Using the Lagrangian approach for an elastic pendulum allows for a more systematic and elegant analysis of the system. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and can be extended to more complex systems with multiple degrees of freedom.

5. What are the limitations of the Lagrangian approach for an elastic pendulum?

The Lagrangian approach may not be suitable for all types of physical systems, and it requires a good understanding of advanced mathematical concepts. It also does not always provide a practical solution for solving real-world problems, as it relies on idealized assumptions and simplifications.