1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Charge and Coulomb's Law

1. Jan 15, 2008 #1
    Coulomb's Law Problem - Please Help

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two positive charges +Q are held fixed a distance d apart. A particle of negative charge -q and mass m is placed midway between them, then is given a small displacement perpendicular to the line joining them and released. Show that the particle describes simple harmonic motion of period sqrt((epsilon not)m((pi)^3)(d^3))/(qQ).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

SO I calculated the resultant force on the Q charge at any point and found it to be [((sqrt(2))qQ)]/[4pi(epsilon not)(r^2)). I then saw that F=-kz and T = 2pi*sqrt(m/k).
    After plugging everything in and seeing that z was neglible when compared to d/2, I came up with several different answers all the same as sqrt((epsilon not)m((pi)^3)(d^3))/(qQ) only I had coefficients in the numerator and denominator. I have no idea what I am doing wrong? Also, how do you prove it is simple harmonic motion?

Here's what I did:

I said that r is approx. equal to d/2. and z is rsin(theta). After I pug this all in to T = 2p*sqrt(m/k) I get T = sqrt([16(pi^3)(epsilon not)m(r^3)sin(theta)]/[sqrt(2)qQ]).
    I don't get what I am doing wrong. Plz help...thx.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?