1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric circuit analysis problem help?

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    We have the circuit that I have attached in the figure.I have to find i1 i2 and V.
    SO I firt find i1.
    I find the equivalent resistance ( I am not writing it all here because it takes too long) and Re=10 Ohm.So i1 =V/Re=10 A.
    I thought that to find i2 and V I had to use the current division principle and tension division principle hence :
    V=[2/(4+2)]*100 V
    and i2=[4/(4+24)]*10 A... what am I doing wrong?

Attached Files:

• fhg.jpg
      fhg.jpg
      File size:
      6.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thats wrong. The 2/(4+2) is the right idea but the voltage at the top of the 12 Ohm resistor isn't 100v. There are several potential dividers in a row. You have skipped a few.

First you have to work out the voltage at the top of the 24 Ohm resistor. From your earlier working out of Ii you will know that the Re at that point is 6 Ohms. eg...

(((2+4)//12)+4)//24 = 6

So the voltage on the 24Ohm is...

100 * 6/(6+4) = 60V

Repeat the process to find the voltage on the 12 Ohm Resistor.

Then repeat the process again to find the voltage on the 2 Ohm Resistor.

4. Apr 13, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Once you have calculated the voltage on the 24 ohm resistor the current i2 is easy.

5. Apr 13, 2013 #4
    I love you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted