Electric circuit analysis problem help?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of i1, i2, and V in a circuit. The equivalent resistance is found to be 10 Ohm, making i1 equal to V/Re. However, the current division and tension division principles are used incorrectly to find i2 and V. The correct approach involves calculating the voltage at the top of the 24 Ohm resistor and repeating the process for the 12 Ohm and 2 Ohm resistors. Finally, i2 can be easily calculated once the voltage on the 24 ohm resistor is determined.
Questions999
We have the circuit that I have attached in the figure.I have to find i1 i2 and V.
SO I firt find i1.
I find the equivalent resistance ( I am not writing it all here because it takes too long) and Re=10 Ohm.So i1 =V/Re=10 A.
I thought that to find i2 and V I had to use the current division principle and tension division principle hence :
V=[2/(4+2)]*100 V
and i2=[4/(4+24)]*10 A... what am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• fhg.jpg
    fhg.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
V=[2/(4+2)]*100 v

Thats wrong. The 2/(4+2) is the right idea but the voltage at the top of the 12 Ohm resistor isn't 100v. There are several potential dividers in a row. You have skipped a few.

First you have to work out the voltage at the top of the 24 Ohm resistor. From your earlier working out of Ii you will know that the Re at that point is 6 Ohms. eg...

(((2+4)//12)+4)//24 = 6

So the voltage on the 24Ohm is...

100 * 6/(6+4) = 60V

Repeat the process to find the voltage on the 12 Ohm Resistor.

Then repeat the process again to find the voltage on the 2 Ohm Resistor.

Once you have calculated the voltage on the 24 ohm resistor the current i2 is easy.

I love you.

Hello,

Thank you for providing the circuit and your attempt at solving the problem. I can see that you have correctly found the equivalent resistance and the value of i1. However, your approach for finding i2 and V using the current division and voltage division principles is not entirely accurate.

To find i2, we can use Ohm's Law, which states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance. In this case, the resistance in the branch containing i2 is 24 ohms, so we can write i2 = V/24. To find V, we can use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop is equal to zero. Starting from the top left corner and moving clockwise, we have V - 100V - i2*24 = 0. Substituting the value of i2, we get V - 100V - (V/24)*24 = 0. Solving this equation, we get V = 80V.

Therefore, we have i1 = 10A, i2 = 80/24 = 3.33A, and V = 80V.

I hope this helps. Remember to always check your equations and use the appropriate laws and principles when solving circuit analysis problems. Good luck!

1. What is an electric circuit analysis problem?

An electric circuit analysis problem is a type of problem that involves analyzing and solving a circuit to determine the behavior of electric currents and voltages. It requires knowledge of electrical laws, such as Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws, and the use of various techniques and tools to solve the circuit.

2. What are the common elements of an electric circuit analysis problem?

The common elements of an electric circuit analysis problem include resistors, capacitors, inductors, voltage sources, current sources, and wires. These elements are connected in a specific configuration, and the goal is to determine the values of currents and voltages at different points in the circuit.

3. What are the steps to solve an electric circuit analysis problem?

The steps to solve an electric circuit analysis problem are:

1. Draw the circuit diagram and label all the elements.
  2. Apply Kirchhoff's laws to write equations based on the known values and the unknown values.
  3. Solve the equations using algebraic methods, such as substitution or elimination.
  4. Check the solution by substituting the values back into the equations.
  5. Calculate the desired currents and voltages.

4. What are the common challenges in solving electric circuit analysis problems?

Some common challenges in solving electric circuit analysis problems include:

• Complex circuit configurations that require advanced techniques, such as mesh analysis or nodal analysis.
  • Circuits with non-linear elements, such as diodes or transistors, which require more sophisticated methods to solve.
  • Missing or incorrect information in the circuit diagram.
  • Errors made in solving the equations, such as using incorrect units or forgetting to include all the terms in the equations.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving electric circuit analysis problems?

To improve your skills in solving electric circuit analysis problems, you can:

• Practice solving a variety of problems with different circuit configurations.
  • Understand the fundamental electrical laws and their applications in circuit analysis.
  • Familiarize yourself with the different techniques and tools used in circuit analysis, such as Kirchhoff's laws and circuit theorems.
  • Seek help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor to clarify any concepts or techniques you are struggling with.
  • Double-check your work and analyze any mistakes to learn from them.