Electric Circuits Homework Help

In summary, to calculate the cost of leaving a 1800 Watt electric oven on for 7 hours, you need to convert the wattage to kilowatts (1.8 kW), multiply by the number of hours (7 hours), and then multiply by the cost per kilowatt hour (10 cents). This would result in a total cost of 126 cents, not 1.26 cents.
r1ch412d

Homework Statement

What does it cost in cents to leave a 1800 Watt electric oven on for 7 hours? Assume that you pay 10 cents for every kilowatt hour which you use.

Homework Equations

Well i don't know if I am supposed to use P=E/t. i don't know how I am supposed to use it

The Attempt at a Solution

Do i not convert 1800 Watts to 1.8 Kilowatts, then multiply 1.8 by 7 hours..which is 12.6 then by .10 cents, which makes the answer 1.26?
It is incorrect though.Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow nvm, i answered it 1.26 cents instead of 126 cents..-.- thanks anyways

Hello, thank you for your question about electric circuits and the cost of leaving an electric oven on for 7 hours. You are correct in using the equation P=E/t, where P is power in watts, E is energy in kilowatt hours, and t is time in hours. However, you should not convert 1800 watts to 1.8 kilowatts as watts are already a unit of power, not energy. To find the energy used, you can simply multiply 1800 watts by 7 hours, which gives you 12600 watt-hours. Then, to convert to kilowatt hours, divide by 1000, giving you 12.6 kilowatt hours. Finally, to find the cost, multiply 12.6 kilowatt hours by 10 cents, giving you a total cost of $1.26. I hope this helps clarify the solution for you.

What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path that allows electricity to flow from a power source to a load (such as a light bulb) and back to the power source. It is made up of electrical components such as wires, resistors, capacitors, and switches.

How do I calculate the current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R), or I = V/R. It can also be determined by measuring the voltage drop across a resistor using a multimeter.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, so the current has only one path to flow through. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, so the current can flow through different paths. This results in different voltage and current values for each component.

How do I calculate the voltage in a circuit?

The voltage in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R), or V = I*R. It can also be determined by measuring the potential difference between two points in the circuit using a voltmeter.

What is the purpose of a resistor in a circuit?

A resistor is used to control the flow of current in a circuit. It resists the flow of electricity, causing a voltage drop and reducing the current. This allows for the regulation of current and the protection of components from too much current.