1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric current passing through closed loop

1. Feb 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(sorry for possible notation errors, that might arise during the translation)

Why an electric current passing through a closed loop, can be defined only in stationary conditions?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that the reason is that, if the current is not stationary we must consider also displacement current and the tyme varying electric field, but the question is really generic so I have my doubts.

Can you help me? Many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In case of closed loop containing capacitors and/or inductors, the current depends on the time after closing the circuit, till the transient current is ceased. In case of resistors only in the circuit, the transient is for a very-very short time, and we can not determine it without knowing more details, as you wrote in your post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted