Electric Energy Potential and Capacitors

In summary, the question asks for the constant current that would transfer a charge of 5 μC in 2 × 10−3 s. The solution is 2.5e-3A. The formula to use is I = Q/t, and it is important to consider the units involved in this problem. The spark involved less than 1 Coulomb, but transferred it in less than a second. Understanding the various SI units can be a challenge, but they are important to consider in solving problems.
neshepard

Homework Statement

So this is from a past test put up as a study guide, but I'm stumped here. The question is:

A spark jumps between two electrodes, transferring a charge of 5 μC in 2 × 10−3 s. The
constant current I that would transfer the same charge in the same time is

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is 2.5e-3A.

What is the formula to use? Is this to be treated as a capacitor therefore U=1/2QC? Just need a nudge to get my head around it for the test Tuesday.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
neshepard said:

Homework Statement

So this is from a past test put up as a study guide, but I'm stumped here. The question is:

A spark jumps between two electrodes, transferring a charge of 5 μC in 2 × 10−3 s. The
constant current I that would transfer the same charge in the same time is

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is 2.5e-3A.

What is the formula to use? Is this to be treated as a capacitor therefore U=1/2QC? Just need a nudge to get my head around it for the test Tuesday.

Thanks

It is not a formula you need, it is contemplation of units.

Current is usually quoted in amperes, which means 1 Coulomb per second.
this spark involved much less that 1 Coulomb, but transferred in much less than a whole second. Think about it.

[Or use I = Q/t if you must]

Thanks. I can never remember the various SI units for things. I end up sticking to Amp, Volt, etc, and this seems to be the down fall of my understanding. But they just don't stick. Anyway, I know the time was fast, and would play a key part, but not where.

Cheers

1. What is electric energy potential?

Electric energy potential is the energy that an electric charge possesses by virtue of its position in an electric field. It is the potential energy of a charged particle at a certain point in an electric field, and it is measured in units of joules (J).

2. How is the electric energy potential calculated?

The electric energy potential is calculated by multiplying the electric potential (V) by the charge (Q) at a specific point in an electric field. The formula is U = QV, where U is the electric energy potential, Q is the charge, and V is the electric potential.

3. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is a device that stores electric energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by a non-conductive material, called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, one plate accumulates a positive charge and the other accumulates a negative charge, creating an electric field between them.

4. How does a capacitor store energy?

A capacitor stores energy by accumulating opposite charges on its plates. When a voltage is applied, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores the energy. The amount of energy stored in a capacitor depends on its capacitance, or the ability to hold a charge at a given voltage.

5. What factors affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor is affected by the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. The closer the plates are, the larger the surface area, and the higher the dielectric constant of the material, the higher the capacitance will be. Additionally, the capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates, meaning that as the distance increases, the capacitance decreases.