1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Energy Potential and Capacitors

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataSo this is from a past test put up as a study guide, but I'm stumped here. The question is:

A spark jumps between two electrodes, transferring a charge of 5 μC in 2 × 10−3 s. The
    constant current I that would transfer the same charge in the same time is

3. The attempt at a solution
    The solution is 2.5e-3A.

What is the formula to use? Is this to be treated as a capacitor therefore U=1/2QC? Just need a nudge to get my head around it for the test Tuesday.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

It is not a formula you need, it is contemplation of units.

Current is usually quoted in amperes, which means 1 Coulomb per second.
    this spark involved much less that 1 Coulomb, but transferred in much less than a whole second. Think about it.

[Or use I = Q/t if you must]

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3
    Thanks. I can never remember the various SI units for things. I end up sticking to Amp, Volt, etc, and this seems to be the down fall of my understanding. But they just don't stick. Anyway, I know the time was fast, and would play a key part, but not where.

Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook