1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Engineering Curriculum no programming class?

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1
    Electric Engineering Curriculum no programming class???

http://www2.eng.usf.edu/studentServices/docs/guides/Curriculum20092010.pdf [Broken]

So if you open that pdf and go to page 8 "Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering" i dont need to take any programming class??? how come??

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2
    Re: Electric Engineering Curriculum no programming class???

That does seem odd. For my program I have to take 2 programming classes minimum.

4. Jul 23, 2010 #3
    Which ones?

5. Jul 23, 2010 #4

They probably figure you will pick it up on your own. You'll probably need to know a little about a few different languages. Programming isn't really something you can teach. you can teach algorithms and such but actual programming you just sort of learn as you go.

6. Jul 24, 2010 #5

I have programming for engineers which has a pre-req of C++ programming, and I also also have to have Lab-View programming.

7. Jul 24, 2010 #6

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I see at least two:
    • Electrical Engineering Computing Methods
    • Microprocessors

...And probably the two "Electronics" classes as well. Unfortunately, they probably won't be programming classes per se, but rather ones where you're just expected to pick up whatever language they're programming in (I'd suspect MATLAB / C / Fortran for Computing Methods, and Assembly or C for Microprocessors and the Electronics classes).

I had one basic programming course (this has since been discontinued in favour of MATLAB programming and numerical methods), and took an elective C++ course. You just have to pick the programming stuff up on your own (should it actually pique your curiosity).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook