1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field and an Uniformly Charge Plastic Pipe

1. May 22, 2006 #1
    A plastic pipe has an inner radius of a = 35.00 cm and an outer radius of b = 71.00 cm. Electric charge is uniformly distributed over the region a < r < b. The charge density in this region is 30.00 C/m3

A)Calculate the magnitude of the electric field at r = 0.44 m.

B)Calculate the magnitude of the electric field at r = 1.59 m.

I need some help on where to begin. I know the e-field for cylindrical sym. is E=2kQin/rL

I also know that Qin=charge density * Volume.

How do I find the volume so I can find the Qin in both A and B?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: Gauss's Law

Have you figured out what gaussian surface to use? Once you do that, you'll be able to calculate the charge enclosed.

4. May 22, 2006 #3
    I dont understand

5. May 22, 2006 #4

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What don't you understand?

6. May 22, 2006 #5
    I don't understand those formulas, we learned E=2kQin/rL. Was my approach the wrong way of doing it. Finding Qin and then using E=2kQin/rL to get the answer.

7. May 23, 2006 #6

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but more important than the formula is the underlying principle. Do you know how you got that formula?

8. Feb 14, 2007 #7
    Sorry to revive this old thread, but it is the exact same problem I am working on.

What is the formula used to solve the equation? I thought all I would have to do is E = lambda/2pi*epsilon*r^2 but I was wrong.

In the previous posts, in the equation E=2kQin/rL, what is L? Also, how do I find the volume so I can find the Qin in both A and B? Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?