1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field as a function - potential

1. Jun 9, 2008 #1
    electric field as a function -- potential

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

assume that the electric field in space is given by E = E_o*e^(-r/R) where r is the radial distance away from the origin and E_o and R are constants. E points away fro the origin. Calculate the electric potential at any point r if zero potential is taken at r = +infinity.

i should get electric potential V(r) = E_o*R*e^(-r/R)
    2. Relevant equations

point charge electric potential V = V(r) = kq/r where k is constant = 9*10^9, q is charge, r is distance

electric potential difference deltaV_AB = V_B =V_A = - [<integral>E*dr] from r_A to r_B

3. The attempt at a solution

what does it mean that E points away from the origin, how does knowing that affect the problem?

what is the integral of the E function, how integrate the e^(-r/R) portion specifically?

if i let r = infinity, then in the E function then e^(-infinity) = 0, so the function goes to zero

any tips on how to get started appreciated...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

The integral is:

\Delta V_{ab} = -\int\limits_{a}^{b} \vec E\cdot d\vec r

and so since there is a dot product inside the integral, you need to know the (relative) directions of [itex]d\vec r[/itex] and [itex]\vec E[/itex] in order to write down the integral for this particular problem.
  4. Jun 9, 2008 #3
    the problem states that E points away from the origin. and r is the radial distance away from the origin. so does that make E negative and dr positive?

so now do i sub in the function in for E in the integral, how do i integrate e^(-r/R)?

since i want to calculate for electric potential V, is the charge at the origin, thus a point charge?
  5. Jun 9, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it means that r and E both point in the same direction- so their dot product is just the product of their lengths.

Use the substitution u= r/R.

??There is no mention of a "charge at the origin", just an electric force field- no mention of what causes the force field.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?