Electric field at a point charge

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding the arrangement of three point charges and its effect on the electric field at the leftmost point. The individual initially assumed that the electric field would be largest in arrangement A, but after using a method to estimate the direction and magnitude of the electric field, they realized it would be infinite at that point. They received feedback and planned to argue for points on their homework.
SchruteBucks
I had a question (very similar to this) for homework a few days ago, which was basically: In which arrangement will the electric field at the leftmost point be largest and in which will it be the smallest?

A.
(+)-------(+)

B.
--------(+)-------(+)

or

C.
----(+)---(+)

I assumed it would be A since the point charge is AT the leftmost point, and through the method that acts like there is a positive charge at a point to estimate the direction and magnitude of the electric field, I got the magnitude of the electric field at that point to be infinite since it is at the same point as the charge. (r2 in denominator becomes zero) What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't do anything wrong, as you move infinitely close to a charge the electric field goes to infinity.

point charge

Thanks for the feedback, VERY much appreciated! Wish me luck as I go try to argue for some points back on my homework then. It's usually pretty difficult to argue physics with a guy who has a Ph.D. in the subject though...and actually knows what he's talking about :|

Go got it. I was so renown for arguing for points, once my professor gave me some I didn't even deserve. But then he had ripped me off on the last test so we were even.

1. What is an electric field at a point charge?

The electric field at a point charge is a measure of the strength and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle placed at that point. It is a vector quantity and is typically represented by the symbol E.

2. How is the electric field at a point charge calculated?

The electric field at a point charge is calculated by dividing the Coulomb force, which is the force between two point charges, by the magnitude of the test charge. The equation for calculating electric field is E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the magnitude of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge.

3. What is the direction of the electric field at a point charge?

The direction of the electric field at a point charge is in the direction of the force that would be experienced by a positive test charge placed at that point. Therefore, for a positive point charge, the electric field lines radiate outwards and for a negative point charge, the electric field lines point towards the charge.

4. Does the magnitude of the point charge affect the electric field at a point?

Yes, the magnitude of the point charge does affect the electric field at a point. The electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the point charge, meaning that as the point charge increases, the electric field also increases.

5. What is the relationship between electric field and distance from a point charge?

The relationship between electric field and distance from a point charge is an inverse square relationship. This means that as the distance from the point charge increases, the electric field decreases. The electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the point charge.