Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric field at a point charge

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    I had a question (very similar to this) for homework a few days ago, which was basically: In which arrangement will the electric field at the leftmost point be largest and in which will it be the smallest?

A.
    (+)-------(+)

B.
    --------(+)-------(+)

or

C.
    ----(+)---(+)

I assumed it would be A since the point charge is AT the leftmost point, and through the method that acts like there is a positive charge at a point to estimate the direction and magnitude of the electric field, I got the magnitude of the electric field at that point to be infinite since it is at the same point as the charge. (r2 in denominator becomes zero) What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2
    You didn't do anything wrong, as you move infinitely close to a charge the electric field goes to infinity.

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    point charge

5. Jan 26, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the feedback, VERY much appreciated! Wish me luck as I go try to argue for some points back on my homework then. It's usually pretty difficult to argue physics with a guy who has a Ph.D. in the subject though...and actually knows what he's talking about :|

6. Jan 26, 2012 #5
    Go got it. I was so renown for arguing for points, once my professor gave me some I didn't even deserve. But then he had ripped me off on the last test so we were even.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook