1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field at a point charge

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    I had a question (very similar to this) for homework a few days ago, which was basically: In which arrangement will the electric field at the leftmost point be largest and in which will it be the smallest?

A.
    (+)-------(+)

B.
    --------(+)-------(+)

or

C.
    ----(+)---(+)

I assumed it would be A since the point charge is AT the leftmost point, and through the method that acts like there is a positive charge at a point to estimate the direction and magnitude of the electric field, I got the magnitude of the electric field at that point to be infinite since it is at the same point as the charge. (r2 in denominator becomes zero) What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2
    You didn't do anything wrong, as you move infinitely close to a charge the electric field goes to infinity.

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    point charge

5. Jan 26, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the feedback, VERY much appreciated! Wish me luck as I go try to argue for some points back on my homework then. It's usually pretty difficult to argue physics with a guy who has a Ph.D. in the subject though...and actually knows what he's talking about :|

6. Jan 26, 2012 #5
    Go got it. I was so renown for arguing for points, once my professor gave me some I didn't even deserve. But then he had ripped me off on the last test so we were even.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook