1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field at point Gauss law

1. Dec 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We wont to find out the electric field at a point p due to a point charge q placed at o as shown in the figure

IMG_11300006.jpg

Consider a sphere of radius r passing through the point p. Let the electric field at p be E then by Gauss law

IMG_113006.jpg

my problem is how we get the last step? I dont understand how he integrate it.

3. The attempt at a solution

i tried it and found a solution but not sure if its correct although i got the same result

IMG_1134.jpg

sorry that i don't used LATEX but I'm not used with it and i cant write the whole question with LATEX

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You need to learn the rules for integration (and differentiation) of ##x^n##. Try this: Power Rule

4. Dec 12, 2014 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks as if the power rule is known, but the concept of integration causes difficulties: substitution ##x=r^{-3}## is carried out ok initially (*), but the much better (or rather, the 'right') substitution ##x = r^{-2}##, leading to ##dx =-2\; r^{-3}dr## and hence ##\int r^{-3} dr = -{1\over2}\int dx## is overseen.

(*) Later on, the swap ##\int {x\over r^{-4}}\; dx = {1\over r^{-4}} \int x\; dx## is unforgivable: r is not a constant but depends on x !!

5. Dec 12, 2014 #4
    If r is not constant and depends on x. Therefore i cant put the ##r^4## outside the integration. Right??

6. Dec 12, 2014 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Indeed you can not !

7. Dec 12, 2014 #6
    Ok so how to get this solution?
    Any idea??
    I want the the same result ##E=\frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon r^2}##

8. Dec 12, 2014 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, we have to make a step back. Your "Consider a sphere of radius r passing through the point p. Let the electric field at p be E then by Gauss law " continues with a picture with formulas that seem to be out of context: at P there is no charge, so div E is zero there !

Where does this snippet come from? It also integrates from ## r=-\infty## to ## r=\infty## which is very weird, since r can't be negative. Then it equates that to ##2\int_0^\infty\ ##, then inserts a ##- {1\over 3 }## from nowhere (re-check the power rule)!

So, stepping back and trying to find the correct path:

Gauss law replaces a surface integral of E by a volume integral of rho. Indeed ##\nabla \vec E = {\rho\over \epsilon_0} ##, but ## \rho \ne q\big /{4\over 3}\pi r^3\ ## ! That is ##\rho## for a uniformly charged sphere with radius r !

In this simple case the volume integral of rho simply yields q. Frome there use rotation symmetry and gauss law to get to E.

Another thing: note that div E is not ## dE\over dr## !

Divergence in spherical coordinates tells us that

for rotational symmetry ##\nabla\cdot\vec E = {1\over r^2}\; {\partial (r^2E_r)\over \partial r}##

(
    as you can check: div E = 0 for the desired result for E

and conversely: with rotational symmetry, Er2 is constant outside the area where charge is present.​
    ).

[edit] forgot the divergence link, inserted it.

9. Dec 12, 2014 #8

Doc Al

Sure. Learn how to integrate ##x^n##; in particular, ##\frac{1}{x^3} = x^{-3}##. (No fancy substitutions needed.)

See the link I gave about the power rule.

10. Dec 12, 2014 #9
    I know how to use the power rule.
    If you see my solution ;)

@BvU
    Thank you for your help. Looks like this question is a mess. The whole question is wrong
    I will now use your information and maybe i will get a right solution.

11. Dec 12, 2014 #10

Doc Al

Then why did you say the following?
    The last step was integrating 1/x3.

I guess I missed something. (Sorry about that!)

12. Dec 12, 2014 #11
    Yes thats right but if you try to integrate the last step you will not get the same result. Therefore i said that i dont understand it. But as BvU told me the whole question has mistakes.

13. Dec 12, 2014 #12

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So is the picture with the formulas from a different exercise ? Or did you do a part of the solution in TeX and then switch to handwritten ?

14. Dec 12, 2014 #13
    No the two pictures ( figure and Tex ) are from exercise. Just the handwriting is mine. But the exercise it is not from one source cause the exercise has the soltuion from a screenshot. It has text and image ( the soultion and the figure ) are screenshots.

15. Dec 13, 2014 #14

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, do we have the "all clear"now, or is there still some thing unfinished ?

16. Dec 13, 2014 #15
    Thank you very much. Its clear now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted