1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field at the center of a square homework

1. Aug 22, 2006 #1
    Question:

Electric charge is distributed uniformly along each side of a square. Two adjacent sides have positive charge with total charge + Q on each. Each side of the square has length a.

Image at bottom.

Part A:

Suppose the other two sides have negative charge with total charge - Q on each. What is the x-component of the net electric field at the center of the square? Give your answer in terms of Q, a, and epsilon_0.

The electric field at the origin would point away from the positive charge and point towards the negative charge. The x-components would both be in the -x direction and equal in magnitude.

I thought all I had to do was double the equation for an electric field with Q as the charge and (.5a) as the distance.

My answer was - (2)*(Q) / (Pi* a^(2) * (epsilon_0).

Because this is a Mastering Physics question and I was close, my feedback was "Your answer is off by a multiplicative factor."

What did I do wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2006 #2
    You can't just double it. Since each side is a charged rod, you will have to find the electric field a distance .5a away from a charged rod. What you did would work if it were a point charge.

4. Aug 24, 2006 #3
    I exceeded my attempts (five) on the first part. It was the same as the second part, so I ended up getting 3/4s of the points.

I don't understand why the answer is [tex]-\frac{\sqrt{2} \cdot Q}{\pi \cdot a^2 \cdot \epsilon_0}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?