Electric field at the center of an arc

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
tag16
Messages
95
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A charge Q is arranged evenly on a wire bent into an arc or radius R as shown in the
Figure. What is the electric field at the center of the arc as a function of the opening
angle theta? Sketch a graph of the electric field as a function of theta for 0<theta<180 degrees.


Homework Equations



E= KQ/R^2 cos theta

The Attempt at a Solution



Is the above equation correct? If not, I'm not really sure what to do, also I'm not sure how the graph should look.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Where'd you get that equation?

Also, if you're worried about how the graph should look, start by figuring it out for some easy points. What's the E field going to be at the center if theta is zero (so all the charge is concentrated in a single point)? How bout if Theta is 360 degrees (so a full circle)? It's a bit harder to figure out for 180 degrees, or 90 or 270 degrees, but you should be able to make a very rough estimate. That will give you some insight into the shape of the graph.
 
sorry this is the best I can do: http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab41/tag16/problem1.jpg?t=1259862072

The equation I found in my physics book except the cos theta part, I was just guessing there. Though it would probably be integral cos theta or sin theta, if it's suppose to be in there at all.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[tex]\lambda[/tex]=Q/[tex]\pi[/tex]R

dE= kdQ/R^2
dE= (kdQ/R^2) cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

dQ=[tex]\lambda[/tex]dl
dl= Rd[tex]\theta[/tex]
dQ=[tex]\lambda[/tex]Rd[tex]\theta[/tex]

dE=(k[[tex]\lambda[/tex]Rd[tex]\theta[/tex]]/R^2)cos[tex]\theta[/tex]


E=[tex]\int[/tex](k[tex]\lambda[/tex]Rcos[tex]\theta[/tex]/R^2)d[tex]\theta[/tex](from [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 to -[tex]\pi[/tex]/2)
E=k[tex]\lambda[/tex]/R[tex]\int[/tex] cos[tex]\theta[/tex]d[tex]\theta[/tex]
E=k[tex]\lambda[/tex]/R[tex]\int[/tex]sin[tex]\theta[/tex]
E=k[tex]\lambda[/tex]/R[sin([tex]\pi[/tex]/2)-sin(-[tex]\pi[/tex]/2)]
E=k[tex]\lambda[/tex]/2R
E=k(Q/[tex]\pi[/tex]R)/2R=2kQ/[tex]\pi[/tex]R^2
E= 2kq/[tex]\pi[/tex]R^2

Is this right?