1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field at the center of an arc

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charge Q is arranged evenly on a wire bent into an arc or radius R as shown in the
    Figure. What is the electric field at the center of the arc as a function of the opening
    angle theta? Sketch a graph of the electric field as a function of theta for 0<theta<180 degrees.

2. Relevant equations

E= KQ/R^2 cos theta

3. The attempt at a solution

Is the above equation correct? If not, I'm not really sure what to do, also I'm not sure how the graph should look.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2
    where is the figure?

4. Dec 2, 2009 #3
    Where'd you get that equation?

Also, if you're worried about how the graph should look, start by figuring it out for some easy points. What's the E field going to be at the center if theta is zero (so all the charge is concentrated in a single point)? How bout if Theta is 360 degrees (so a full circle)? It's a bit harder to figure out for 180 degrees, or 90 or 270 degrees, but you should be able to make a very rough estimate. That will give you some insight into the shape of the graph.

5. Dec 3, 2009 #4
    sorry this is the best I can do: http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab41/tag16/problem1.jpg?t=1259862072 [Broken]

The equation I found in my physics book except the cos theta part, I was just guessing there. Though it would probably be integral cos theta or sin theta, if it's suppose to be in there at all.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Dec 4, 2009 #5
    [tex]\lambda[/tex]=Q/[tex]\pi[/tex]R

dE= kdQ/R^2
    dE= (kdQ/R^2) cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

dQ=[tex]\lambda[/tex]dl
    dl= Rd[tex]\theta[/tex]
    dQ=[tex]\lambda[/tex]Rd[tex]\theta[/tex]

dE=(k[[tex]\lambda[/tex]Rd[tex]\theta[/tex]]/R^2)cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

E=[tex]\int[/tex](k[tex]\lambda[/tex]Rcos[tex]\theta[/tex]/R^2)d[tex]\theta[/tex](from [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 to -[tex]\pi[/tex]/2)
    E=k[tex]\lambda[/tex]/R[tex]\int[/tex] cos[tex]\theta[/tex]d[tex]\theta[/tex]
    E=k[tex]\lambda[/tex]/R[tex]\int[/tex]sin[tex]\theta[/tex]
    E=k[tex]\lambda[/tex]/R[sin([tex]\pi[/tex]/2)-sin(-[tex]\pi[/tex]/2)]
    E=k[tex]\lambda[/tex]/2R
    E=k(Q/[tex]\pi[/tex]R)/2R=2kQ/[tex]\pi[/tex]R^2
    E= 2kq/[tex]\pi[/tex]R^2

Is this right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook