1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field between two charged plates

1. Jan 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two large, parallel, conducting plates are 7.5 cm apart and have charges of equal magnitude and opposite sign on their facing surfaces. An electrostatic force of 1.3 × 10-15 N acts on an electron placed anywhere between the two plates. (Neglect fringing.)

Find the magnitude of the electric field at the position of the electron

2. Relevant equations
    E= F/q

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hi, my question is: Can I solve the problem by simply considering the plates large and close enough to make the Electric field between them uniform and apply E= F/q to find the electric field? that is:

E= 1.3 x 10-15/1.67 x 10-19 = 7.78 x 103 N/C ?

It feels like i'm ignoring the information of the distance...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Usually when a problem says that something is "large" without saying exactly how large, it's meant to imply that a simplifying assumption can be made. In this case it means that you can treat the electric field as being uniform as you suggested.

You'll want to check the value you've used for the charge on an electron :wink:

4. Jan 9, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your reply!
    Ok, if I use for the charge of the electron -1.602 x 10-19 i get : 1.3 x 10-15/ -1.602 x 10-19= -8.11x 10-3 N/C correct?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  5. Jan 9, 2016 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

That looks better :smile:

6. Jan 9, 2016 #5
    actually without the minus sign because I'm asked for the magnitude only

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted