1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field between two charges in 1D

1. Feb 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two identical positive charges of +Q are 1 m apart. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field at point A, 0.25 m to the right of the left-hand charge?

2. Relevant equations

E = kQ/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I summed up kQ+/(.25^2) and kQ+/(.75^2) and what I got was one of the answer choices, but apparently it was wrong. Evidently you have to subtract the .75 charge from the .25 to get the right answer. I also am unsure of which direction the electric field points.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2010 #2
    okay tekee, imagine that the point of interest is a positive charge. Which should be the default. A positive charge to the righthand side of it pushes it left. and a positive charge to the lefthand side of it will push right. So you will have to make appropriate changes to your answer due to that.

4. Feb 22, 2010 #3
    point A is between the charges. The direction of the electric field is the direction of the force on a positive test-charge.
    What is the magnitude and direction of the field due to the positive charge 0.25 m to the left of A?
    What is the magnitude and direction of the field due to the positive charge 0.75 m to the right of A?
    Now you can add those fields like vectors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook