Electric field due to a charged disk

In summary, the electric field due to a uniform continuous charge distribution is given by: \vec E = \frac {1}{4 \pi \epsilon _0} \int \int \frac {\sigma \hat{r}}{r^2}dS. The attempt at a solution used the usual approach of dividing the charge distribution into little circles and calculating the electric field due to each one. However, the electric field due to that circle was not correct. Additionally, the student requested more problems about electrostatics. After providing a summary of the chapter, the expert provided a solution to the student's problem.
Noctisdark

Homework Statement

I'm reading Griffith-Introduction to electrodynamics, In chapter 2 about electrostatics, I've encounter few problems that I've managed, to solve (luck !), I'm asked to calculate the electric field due to a charged disk of radius R in a point P above the center (Pic)

Homework Equations

Electric field due to uniform continuous charge distrubition
[tex] \vec E = \frac {1}{4 \pi \epsilon _0} \int \int \frac {\sigma \hat{r}}{r^2}dS[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to use the usual approach, that is cutting the disk into little circles, [itex] \lambda = \frac {Q}{L} = \frac{\sigma A }{L} = \frac{\sigma 2 \pi r dr}{2 \pi r} = \sigma \cdot dr [/itex]
The electric field due to that circle is [itex] |\vec E_z| = \frac {\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \int \frac{dArc}{(R^2 + z^2)^\frac{3}{2}} = \frac {\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \int_0^{2\pi}\frac {zR \cdot d\theta}{(R^2 + z^2)^\frac{3}{2}} [/itex],You just multiply by 2 [itex]\pi[/itex] and sub the [itex]\lambda[/itex] , [itex] |\vec E_z| = \frac{\sigma zR \cdot dr}{2\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{(R^2 + z^2)^\frac{3}{2}} [/itex], I should have written[itex] d\vec E_z [/itex] because we'll integrate that from 0 up to R, so [tex] \vec E_z = \frac{\sigma}{2\pi\epsilon_0(R^2 + z^2)^\frac{3}{2}} \int_0^zR\cdot dr = \frac{\sigma zR^2}{2\pi\epsilon_0(R^2 + z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}[/tex], I know that this is wrong, so can someone tell me where I've messed things up ?
One more Request, where can I find more problems about electrostatics, I need some practice Thanks !

Attachments

• téléchargement.jpg
    téléchargement.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, in deriving the E field due to the circle, why is there ##r## when you have already defined the circle radius to be ##R##? Second you should check again the correct expression for the integrand of the E field due to a circle, for instance I guess you know that all E field components perpendicular to the circle's axis cancel out for any point on the axis. This gives us a cosine of the half-angle of the cone formed by the observation point and the circle, what's the expression for this cosine?

Likes Noctisdark
I I've missed that, thanks ! I will Edit that right away, I've included the expression of the cosine in ##\frac{1}{(R^2 + z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}##

Noctisdark said:
I I've missed that, thanks ! I will Edit that right away, I've included the expression of the cosine in ##\frac{1}{(R^2 + z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}##
Yes I know that but don't you think you missed one thing in the numerator?

Likes Noctisdark
blue_leaf77 said:
Yes I know that but don't you think you missed one thing in the numerator?
Aw there a z missing,

And finally in the last integral, the integration element should be ##dR## right, which means any ##R## must be inside the integral and to be integrated along.

Likes Noctisdark
I think it should be ##dr##, because I've followed the approach that cuts the circle into little parts, from ##r \text{ to } r+dr##,

Noctisdark said:
I think it should be ##dr##, because I've followed the approach that cuts the circle into little parts, from ##r \text{ to } r+dr##,
Nope, remember in your approach initially you wanted to divide the disk into co-centric rings and calculate the electric field due to a single ring with radius ##R##, let's denote this circle's E field ##E_{ring}##. Having found this (hopefully you did it correctly), you still have to add contributions due to the other rings constituting the original disk. Which means you have to add up rings with varying radius from zero out to the radius of the original disk, let's denote it by ##R_{disk}##.
May be what keeps confusing you is that you haven't changed the ##r## in the expression of ##\lambda##.

Likes Noctisdark
Aw, I've missed that too, In fact I intended to make ##r## the radius of the rings but I wrote ##R## and sticked with it, Okey I'm going to edit that two, I think I wrote a wrong ##\lambda##, it's dR not dr too

##\lambda = \sigma dR##
##\vec E= \frac{\sigma z}{2\pi\epsilon_0} \int_0^r \frac{RdR}{(R^2 + z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} = \frac{-1}{\sqrt{R^2 + z^2}}## evaluate from 0 to r and I get ##|\vec E| = \frac{\sigma z}{2\pi\epsilon_0}\cdot(\frac{1}{\sqrt{r^2 + z^2}} - \frac{1}{z})##

Last edited:
Only some small mistakes left there, first you should check again whether ##\pi## should be present and why the magnitude of the E field is negative.

Likes Noctisdark
##|\vec E| = \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}\cdot(1 - \frac{z}{\sqrt{r^2 + z^2}}) ## Waow thank you very for your assistance :)

Likes blue_leaf77
You are welcome.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field due to a charged disk?

The formula for calculating the electric field due to a charged disk is E = σ/2ε0, where σ is the surface charge density of the disk and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

2. How does the electric field vary with distance from the center of the charged disk?

The electric field due to a charged disk varies inversely with the distance from the center of the disk. This means that the electric field becomes stronger as you move closer to the disk and weaker as you move further away.

3. Can the electric field due to a charged disk be negative?

Yes, the electric field due to a charged disk can be negative. This occurs when the surface charge density is negative, indicating that the disk has an overall negative charge.

4. How does the electric field due to a charged disk differ from that of a point charge?

The electric field due to a charged disk differs from that of a point charge in that it is not radial. Instead, the electric field due to a charged disk is perpendicular to the surface of the disk and points away from the disk if the charge is positive, or towards the disk if the charge is negative.

5. Can the electric field due to a charged disk be affected by the presence of other charges?

Yes, the electric field due to a charged disk can be affected by the presence of other charges. The presence of other charges can alter the distribution of charge on the disk and therefore change the surface charge density and resulting electric field. Additionally, the electric field due to a charged disk can interact with the electric fields of other charges, resulting in a net electric field that is different from the electric field due to the disk alone.