Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric Field due to Capacitor Plates

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A capacitor consists of two plane parallel plates, separated by a distance d. The space in between is filled with a uniform charge density J. Find the electric field at a point x away from the positive plate when a potential difference V is applied.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am finding it difficult to locate this point in the setup -- as in, whether it is located outside to plates or inside. I am assuming that it is the latter. I know that the field produced by an infinite plate is (charge density)/2*epsilon_o, but none of my calculations give me something that matches the answer, which happens to be:

V/d - J*(d-2x)/(2*epsilon_o)

Any help would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2
    There is a uniform charge distribution (which probably means the distribution is not a conductor) between the capacitor plates. Thus, the net electric field between the plates is E = E0 - Eind. E0 would be the electric field without the charge distribution in between (which probably correlates to the V/d in the expression) and Eind is the electric field induced by the charge distribution.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook