1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field due to Capacitor Plates

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A capacitor consists of two plane parallel plates, separated by a distance d. The space in between is filled with a uniform charge density J. Find the electric field at a point x away from the positive plate when a potential difference V is applied.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am finding it difficult to locate this point in the setup -- as in, whether it is located outside to plates or inside. I am assuming that it is the latter. I know that the field produced by an infinite plate is (charge density)/2*epsilon_o, but none of my calculations give me something that matches the answer, which happens to be:

V/d - J*(d-2x)/(2*epsilon_o)

Any help would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2
    There is a uniform charge distribution (which probably means the distribution is not a conductor) between the capacitor plates. Thus, the net electric field between the plates is E = E0 - Eind. E0 would be the electric field without the charge distribution in between (which probably correlates to the V/d in the expression) and Eind is the electric field induced by the charge distribution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook